• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Royal Navy Duffle Coat Advise.

B-Man2

Hey Guys
I’ve always had a quirky fascination with the Royal Navy Duffle Coat . They were worn by a few pretty prominent people during the war and every time I saw a WWII British Naval Movie there they were looking over sized but warm. You didn’t see many of them in the US, but then back in the 6os they became a fashion statement and commercial models of them were across the US in every department store. Like most fashions they showed up for a few years and then died out.
A few years back I trolled the UK Ebay site and picked up 2 or 3 documented original WWII coats and I was shocked at how dense and heavy the coats were, and how warm they are.
About a year ago I was looking at some photos and saw some photographs of RN Officers wearing post war coats that were dark navy blue. So I trolled Ebay UK again and after a lengthy search found one that was supposed to be an original . However, when I received the coat I’m pretty sure it’s just a remake of an original. It’s much lighter and doesn’t feel anything like an original. But, I thought I’d post a few photos of it in hopes that someone might know a little about the one and only mark on the inside flap of the coat . So here it is , hope to hear from you guys.
Thanks

B9CEF496-C7B7-4DDF-BDA7-D87DCC483EF9.jpeg
4C77A1D1-93C6-4584-BD29-645E61D33D5C.jpeg
3956CD62-B2BC-499A-BE7D-91B39567E8E9.jpeg
F673AD87-BFFC-4A3D-9550-B776FBFE2DA2.jpeg

Officer Dibley

The originals always had the hood adjusters Burt.
There is also a certain smell about originals (like a lot of surplus) that cannot be replicated.
Of course i could be wrong - and frequently am !
Dave

B-Man2

The originals always had the hood adjusters Burt.
There is also a certain smell about originals (like a lot of surplus) that cannot be replicated.
Of course i could be wrong - and frequently am !
Dave
Dave
Thanks for responding . Don’t know if it’s clear but this one has the hood adjustments you mentioned . My photos suck but you can just about see them.
Cheers

Griffon_301

BR is doing a nice repro that is also heavy and comes with the hood adjuster IIRC from trying one on in the Clutch Cafe this April...
Coincidentally I might get me one if I find one in the correct size, as I liked it's construction...typically British and way more elaborate and decidedly old fashioned than a USN deck jacket...
It's like an Irvin compared to a B-15 jacket in that regard

Officer Dibley

Dave
Thanks for responding . Don’t know if it’s clear but this one has the hood adjustments you mentioned . My photos suck but you can just about see them.
Cheers

So you can Burt. I should have been clearer, afaik the RN ones had press studs to crudely narrow the hood rather than the tape and buttons.
9D916A8B-C4B4-4FF0-8C83-B7113AA85DD0.png
032AEC9C-A9E3-4729-92FF-583562F04261.jpeg

NicM

How do you clean your duffle coats? I’ve just obtained a WW2 one that is a bit grubby around the bottom edges and has that slight mildew smell common to long stored wool coats. I’ve read conflicting advise on line. Most sources say to dry clean but one site warned dry cleaning can strip the lanolin out of the cloth and reduce its natural waterproofing. Some other sources recommended soaking with Woolite in the bath then drying by rolling inside a towel and laying flat.

What are your experiences?

B-Man2

I’ve never cleaned any of mine. However I do employ a few suggestions from some of the guys here, who are pretty smart about handling original WWII articles of clothing.First as soon as the coat arrives, I put it in a plastic bag and stick it in a freezer for a minimum of 48 hours. That will kill any little hitchhiker pests such as moth larva or bed bugs and such. Once that’s done I take the coat outside and spread it out in the sunshine and let it air out to get rid of that musty smell. If it’s really bad I’ll give it a light spray down with Febreze a commercial odor remover and let it air out for a few days. Of course you want to bring it in each day at sun down to keep the night moisture off of it. ( I’m sure you already knew that but I’m just being thorough). That should make your coat smell much better and make sure your home is safe from pests as well.
Cheers

NicM

Freezing is a great idea - though the wife has a huge rib of beef taking up most of the space at the moment! I’ve been hanging in the garden (by its hanging loop rather than a coat hanger to avoid misshaping it) but it’s slow going with the rain and short bouts of sunshine at this time of year ;-)

B-Man2

You might want to be careful hanging that by the loop for long periods of time. The duffle coats are pretty heavy and the weight of it with its age may just tear that right out of the coat.

Geeboo

I am no expert but I have never seen one WWII British Navy Duffle coat in blue color. There are snap buttons and tape in the hood, depend on makers, both styles were found on originals. Try to look at the string & the wood buttons for details. Not many make it correct, if it is the same as shown in the photos - 3 ties, hand sewn long linen blend string, matt big long wood buttons - it will be likely be an original. but yours already have captured most of the details of the original - nice coat.
Du1.jpg
Du2.jpg
Du3.jpg
Du4.jpg
Du5.jpg
Du6.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

After a bit of research Ive found that the Royal Merchant Marine Service used Navy Blue Duffle coats and as Geeboo pointed out this may be a post WWII coat. Many thanks to all of you for your responses and information. That’s what makes this forum an excellent place for sharing and exchanging information.
Cheers