• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROUGHWEAR A2 ac 23380-CBI

TankBuster

Wasn't the squadron patch also added post war. I guess what does adding major ranks hurt at this point.
I wouldn't have done it, but as long as they are original I guess it's OK. Hey, it's your jacket. BTW, the jacket
is in great shape.

Roughwear

Tranquility Base said:
Don't know why you added the Major rank, but guess you couldn't help yourself.

The original major rank oak leaves were in the pockets and were the rank he was when he a flew a desk in the CBI theatre so what could be more fitting! In fact I was able to use the same stitch holes used when the rank insignia was last sewn on in the War. :)

A

Anonymous

The leaves weren't in the pocket a few years back but the oddest things find their way. And speculation that Myers was a Maj in CBI. But who gives a damn, just don't wear that thing anywhere near a gay parade or you'll be asking for it. :)

bazelot

Andrew, I have bad news for you. The jacket you have is actually a Goodwear reproduction. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, this is an awesome jacket!!!!! I personally would not have added the ranks (as it is easier to wear) but since the original holes were already there and used for that purpose I guess it makes it look more like it was during the war.

Roughwear

bazelot said:
Andrew, I have bad news for you. The jacket you have is actually a Goodwear reproduction. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, this is an awesome jacket!!!!! I personally would not have added the ranks (as it is easier to wear) but since the original holes were already there and used for that purpose I guess it makes it look more like it was during the war.

It is not a jacket I intend to wear very much for obvious reasons. I might wear it to the Flying Legends Air Show next month, however.

atkins

Roughwear said:
bazelot said:

It is not a jacket I intend to wear very much for obvious reasons. I might wear it to the Flying Legends Air Show next month, however.

Don't forget to post picture you wearing it next month then.

Atkins

havocpaul

A real nice jacket but I hope if it ever comes back on the market the 'additions' are mentioned, otherwise it might be a little 'confusing' if any buyer were to believe everything was on the jacket originally...not that you're selling it (yet) Andrew!

A

Anonymous

havocpaul said:
A real nice jacket but I hope if it ever comes back on the market the 'additions' are mentioned, otherwise it might be a little 'confusing' if any buyer were to believe everything was on the jacket originally...not that you're selling it (yet) Andrew!

Very good point. During my short time observing these things I've noticed that jackets sold with honest descriptions and mentions of 'additions' etc. frequently end up back on the market in a year or two with less than full 'service history'. Andrew seems to have been a victim of this in the case of this jacket. I added the original ATC Novelty patch when I owned this jacket since it had stitcholes and I wanted to cover them. When I sold it I made it very clear that I had added the patch. The (re)seller didn't pass this info onto Andrew, though. Moral of the story is: If you add / subtract insignia, knits, zipper, label etc. to a jacket expect them to be sold off as original at some point.

Roughwear

Tranquility Base said:
havocpaul said:

Very good point. During my short time observing these things I've noticed that jackets sold with honest descriptions and mentions of 'additions' etc. frequently end up back on the market in a year or two with less than full 'service history'. Andrew seems to have been a victim of this in the case of this jacket. I added the original ATC Novelty patch when I owned this jacket since it had stitcholes and I wanted to cover them. When I sold it I made it very clear that I had added the patch. The (re)seller didn't pass this info onto Andrew, though. Moral of the story is: If you add / subtract insignia, knits, zipper, label etc. to a jacket expect them to be sold off as original at some point.

Good points made by Paul and Simon. I agree about the patch. A very desirable original one too, but not original to the jacket and the seller did not mention this last point. The major's oakleaves were found in one of the pockets and as the stitch holes match where a set had been removed, I assumed they were originally from the jacket and hence sewed them back on! It is possible that someone who owned it after Simon may have contacted the family and was sent the oakleaves. The guy was a Lieutenant Col when he served in England in 1944, so one could reasonably assume he was a major when he wore the jacket in the CBI. What ever the truth is, its a fantastic jacket which I have no plans to sell. Paul, I am planning to wear the jacket to Duxford in July so you can see it in the flesh so to speak!

havocpaul

That was my point, no doubt a striking jacket but not as it was and a little too much hopeful speculation; on a personal view if I had paid top money for what I believed to be totally original I would have a few niggles keeping me awake at night, and that is what tends to happen when sellers leave out certain info. I am confident if you DID sell it Andrew you would state the patch was added later and the rank insignia MAY have come from the jacket. Then again, I have often been accused of wanting/expecting perfection in a not-so-perfect world! As regards Duxford, not sure I'll be there as other commitments may get in the way although I am down as helping out there again....keep you posted!

atkins

The Mistery of Seal Brown

I thought every Seal brown jacket was a russet redye at the depo, but this jacket doesn't show any trace of russet. Could this is the example of perfect redyeing job? Or is it seal brown from the beginning?. I'm also curious about the redying process back then, did they "dismantled" section after section the jacket first and sew it back again or simply spray or paint the the whole jacket including the knits?

Regards,
Atkins

jacketimp

Re: The Mistery of Seal Brown

atkins said:
I thought every Seal brown jacket was a russet redye at the depo, but this jacket doesn't show any trace of russet. Could this is the example of perfect redyeing job? Or is it seal brown from the beginning?. I'm also curious about the redying process back then, did they "dismantled" section after section the jacket first and sew it back again or simply spray or paint the the whole jacket including the knits?

Regards,
Atkins

i think the question is this : do they have the luxury of time?

atkins

jacketimp said:
atkins said:

Regards,
Atkins

Aah...i thought so,a rush job.

Regards,
Atkins

jacketimp

atkins said:
jacketimp said:
atkins said:

Regards,
Atkins

Aah...i thought so,a rush job.

eeeeer quickie????

Regards,
Atkins

A

Anonymous

atkins said:

Regards,
Atkins
This jacket is obviously not a redye- it's not a real dark seal either- I'd say it's just a dark mid-brown- not Navy jacket seal or Cooper seal. The repro companys have alot people thinking "russet" (not the official color BTW) is a bright reddish color but in fact most WW2 A-2s are a poopy mid-brown. There was no dismantling involved in redyes that I've seen.

Roughwear

atkins said:

Regards,
Atkins

This is not a redye job at all! There were several seal brown contracts, from Star, RW, Aero for example. The thought of an A2 being dismantled and redyed in an USAAF depot made me laugh! They were pressed for time and they spray dyed the jackets. I have an Aero which received this treatment and although it was well done you can see spots of dye on the liner.