• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughwear 18091

P-47 thunderbolt

Currently treating some areas on this very war weary Roughwear with Kucel G.
20220312_174400.jpg
20220312_172140.jpg

I will post some proper pictures in good time.

I'll try to piece together some of its past, including a rigger made pocket before it was relined and then redyed.
Thin goatskin that is largely solid

Silver Surfer

To the best of my knowledge, issued rws had fairly (top to bottom) short pockets flaps, with the exception of the 1401 hh contract. The original zipper for the 18019 goat skin rw was a Hershey bar talon mated to an Art Deco stopper box.

P-47 thunderbolt

That's the rigger pocket there, it has had multiple zippers in it's time judging by the stitching, ending with a 50s talon. The rigger pocket has no snaps. The stitching lies beneath the liner but there is bleed through from the redye through the name tag stitch holes meaning the pocket was added, then relined, then redyed.

I have a near mint size 44 rw 18019 so may do some comparisons.
Plus I'll see how the Kucel G works on this one.

WBOONE

That's the rigger pocket there, it has had multiple zippers in it's time judging by the stitching, ending with a 50s talon. The rigger pocket has no snaps. The stitching lies beneath the liner but there is bleed through from the redye through the name tag stitch holes meaning the pocket was added, then relined, then redyed.

I have a near mint size 44 rw 18019 so may do some comparisons.
Plus I'll see how the Kucel G works on this one.
Im actually looking for one of those. always wanted one. if/when you ever decide to part with it let me know please. Thanks Joie B.

Silver Surfer

some ten years or so ago, these goat rws were showing up consistently. I nailed a real nice one in a size 42 that was easily a size 44, and sold it. as of late, these and the first rw contract a-2s are rarely seen or offered in any kind of wearable condition, or human size. much the same as aeros back then and now. original dubows seem to be what's being offered these days, but in smaller sizes.

WBOONE

That’s true. I missed a really nice RW for sale by Andrew a while back. If I only saw it a few hours earlier. Oh well maybe one day. What is so odd to me is that Roughwear pumped out 10s of thousands of A2s. Maybe close to 100000 jackets from 1938 to 1944 but they don’t seem to be available in 44/46 in any kind of decent condition very often. I know there out there but I guess they are in the hands of museums and collectors.

B-Man2

That’s true. I missed a really nice RW for sale by Andrew a while back. If I only saw it a few hours earlier. Oh well maybe one day. What is so odd to me is that Roughwear pumped out 10s of thousands of A2s. Maybe close to 100000 jackets from 1938 to 1944 but they don’t seem to be available in 44/46 in any kind of decent condition very often. I know there out there but I guess they are in the hands of museums and collectors.
See the above posting