• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughout Boots Maintenance Question?

B-Man2

After reading a recent thread on Roughout boots, a question came to mind that I know has been addressed here in the past, but it’s been a while ago. The question is “Whats the best product ( dubbing) to use to waterproof and protect Roughouts?” I know in the past many have used NOS military WWII dubbing, others use Mink Oil and still others use Snow Seal. What are your experiences using these products ? Which one do you consider the best product to use and are there any new products on the market that out do those mentioned?
Looking forward to hearing your responses .
Thanks

Grant

I use Snow Seal, which is basically bees wax, or Huberd's shoe grease to dub my boots. After rubbing it by hand into the leather I let it set for a bit, then using a hair dryer warm up the leather surface allowing it to soak into seams and stitch holes. A word of warning, when you heat up the dubbing on the boots it does darken the color of rough out leather. I then buff the boot overall with a course brush.

There's a helpful dubbing tutoria on this re-enactor site:

http://90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/

B-Man2

I just read that after you dub the boots you should polish them with brown shoe polish.
I’m not sure I understand why you would polish Roughouts. Can somebody help me out with this one?

Juanito

I just read that after you dub the boots you should polish them with brown shoe polish.
I’m not sure I understand why you would polish Roughouts. Can somebody help me out with this one?
Maybe if you are in the Army for inspection in 1943, but I can't see a practical reason to do that.