• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughout advice?

Greg Gale

My EpicMilitaria roughouts arrived today. They fit well, I'll probably put in an extra sole for better support, but I do that with all my shoes. The quality seems great, the color looks nice - not sure if I would like to darken it by making it impermeable.

Compared to the service boots the roughouts are much lighter, softer and easier to wear, they're not so stiff and high. I'm glad I went for them! Thanks for all the advice.

Alternatively, I have some shoe-care sprays that make them water-proof. Would you recommend using it on these?

Last edited:

Falcon_52

Greg, you can definitely use a waterproofing spray and it will work okay on these. The spray will not darken them like a dubbin or sno-seal will though.

Hopefully, they have a quick break-in time and you can start putting some serious miles on them soon. ;)

Noel

KariJ

Hello Gents
I am seeking for Your advice for size of roughout boots. I like the style and i have been looking of a pair from https://qmi.be/en/shoes-service-reverse-upper-ankle-boots.html
My question is that how wide this type of a boot really is. I happen to have Donald Duck feet, typically issued in Finland since one is born. My size in Mondopoint is 280, but my feet are 11 cm wide. So If anyone have any experience of that common fit I would appreciate it a lot. Old BW Kampfstiefel before model 2000 fits me well, but the more modern issues are too narrow. Thank You very much

B-Man2

Hello Gents
I am seeking for Your advice for size of roughout boots. I like the style and i have been looking of a pair from https://qmi.be/en/shoes-service-reverse-upper-ankle-boots.html
My question is that how wide this type of a boot really is. I happen to have Donald Duck feet, typically issued in Finland since one is born. My size in Mondopoint is 280, but my feet are 11 cm wide. So If anyone have any experience of that common fit I would appreciate it a lot. Old BW Kampfstiefel before model 2000 fits me well, but the more modern issues are too narrow. Thank You very much
The roughout boots are generally just a bit wide, but if you have wide feet I would look for an E or Double EE width.
However, keep in mind that the USMC Rough outs are just a little different, in that they tend to be narrower than the US Army ones.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Last edited:

KariJ

The roughout boots at generally just a bit wide, but if you have wide feet I would look for an E or Double EE width.
However, keep in mind that the USMC Rough outs are just a little different, in that they tend to be narrower than the US Army ones.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Thank You very much for this information. My problem always are my shoulders and the width of my feet and thickness of my calves.
When Finnish Defence forces still were using those Russian style boots I always had to "customize" those with knife, but the widh of the sole was always "more than generous".
My intention is to buy US Army roughouts.
Thanks

jack31916

KariJ. I must have Fin ancestors for my feet are also 11 cm wide.... :rolleyes:

B-Man is right about the fit of these boots and they probably will fit you fine. Actually these are no high end repro's and the fit is a bit "floppy". In case of a little tight, soak them in water and start wearing them. SOF Military in the UK are selling these boots too.

Goodluck

B-Man2

Hello Gents
I don’t know if this helps but here’s a side by side photo of the Army vs Marine Corp roughout boots. The darker boot is the Army one. You can see the width difference . These are both D width size 11 boots. The E and EE widths are much wider widths
E0EDC364-E14D-4452-A07A-9BCB6D4C1010.jpeg
5E02F28F-3358-42EC-A9EF-2CA4127F8D3B.jpeg

GHawkes

Hello! Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm after my first pair of Roughout boots, having a hard time deciding what ones to buy. I've heard good things about Epic Militaria and Soldier of Fortune's boots but they are both different colours.

What boots are most accurate? What would you recommend?

Many thanks for your help

B-Man2

Hi G.
Welcome to the forum. I guess the answer to your question depends to some degree on what side of the ocean you live on. If you’re in the UK you’ll get hammered in tax import duties, if you order a pair from the US. But if that’s not a concern then there are a couple of places on this side that make very authentic looking reproductions of rough out boots . One suggestion is to decide wether you want US Army style or USMC style . There are differences between the two. A couple of places in the US you should check out are
WWII Impressions, At The Front and S&M Wholesale , you can also check What price Glory. Keep in mind they aren’t cheap and average around $200-300 US per pair.
Hope that helps .
Cheers

GHawkes

Thanks for your reply. I will be buying from either Epic Militaria or Soldier of Fortune as they are within the UK and my budget.

I had no idea there are different versions of these boots, I'm looking for something similar to what Steve McQueen wore in 'The Great Escape'.

And as for width my feet are small (size 6 UK) so shouldn't have a problem fitting.

B-Man2

Thanks for your reply. I will be buying from either Epic Militaria or Soldier of Fortune as they are within the UK and my budget.

I had no idea there are different versions of these boots, I'm looking for something similar to what Steve McQueen wore in 'The Great Escape'.

And as for width my feet are small (size 6 UK) so shouldn't have a problem fitting.
Hi G
I’d suggest you read this thread in it’s entirety as there are photos above that clearly show the differences between the US Army version and the US Marine Corp version. As for MCQueen in the Great Escape, he wore the Army version . But either way, regardless of choice, read the thread and then you can make your decision .

Andrew

I’m onto my second pair of WWII Impressions after 10 years, not because the first pair wore out but I decided to go down a size after 6 years. Best boots ever and so versatile. I’ve never put anything on them just aged gracefully but then we dont get snow here and I don’t wear them when it’s wet. I do need to sell my first pair (plus the other 15 odd years of collecting). You do sometimes need to wait but then before you know it time flies. Highly recommended