• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughout advice?

Greg Gale

I definitely don't need another pair of boots. Nope. But I've just watched The Great Escape for the umpteenth time, and roughouts look so cool!

I have the below options sorted. I know there are others, but these are within my budget. Does anyone have an pro-cons to share about these?

QMI (missing side stitching?)
https://qmi.be/shoes-service-reverse-upper-ankle-boots.html

SoF - Combat Serviceable
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-roughout-boots-ww2-ankle-boot-by-combat-serviceable-product,6145

SoF - Mil Tec
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/roughout-boots-by-mil-tec-sturm-product,12784

Epic Militaria - stitching not straight in picture? I have their service boots though and love them.
https://www.epicmilitaria.com/american-rough-out-ankle-boots.html

Also, many of these are said to be made of suede, but that's not the same as reversed leather, right?

Thanks in advance!

Steve27752

Greg, I have the epic boots and I am 100* happy with them.
IMG_2229.JPG

33-1729

I definitely don't need another pair of boots. Nope. But I've just watched The Great Escape for the umpteenth time, and roughouts look so cool!

I have the below options sorted. I know there are others, but these are within my budget. Does anyone have an pro-cons to share about these?
Also, many of these are said to be made of suede, but that's not the same as reversed leather, right?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, suede and roughout (a.k.a. "reverse suede") are very different leathers. And both are typically derived from toughest and longer lasting full grain leather, the skin right below the hair. In general, the further from the hair layer the softer the skin will be.

Suede is taken from the softer under-layer portion of leather, so a split-leather skin, making it a thinner and more delicate portion of the original skin. As the skin is sanded to create the suede finish, poor quality leather may be substituted for high quality full grain leather resulting is a fragile leather. (I think they're all called "suede" because of the finish, but the quality can vary widely depending upon the leather source.)

Roughout uses the hair side of the skin on the inside of the shoe/boot and the flesh side on the outside of the shoe, so reverse of what is commonly done, hence it is sometimes called a "reverse suede". Roughout from full grain leather is remarkably durable. As always, some may use the term "roughout" or "reverse suede" to mean other than is commonly used. Check before buying.

B-Man2

Yes, suede and roughout (a.k.a. "reverse suede") are very different leathers. And both are typically derived from toughest and longer lasting full grain leather, the skin right below the hair. In general, the further from the hair layer the softer the skin will be.

Suede is taken from the softer under-layer portion of leather, so a split-leather skin, making it a thinner and more delicate portion of the original skin. As the skin is sanded to create the suede finish, poor quality leather may be substituted for high quality full grain leather resulting is a fragile leather. (I think they're all called "suede" because of the finish, but the quality can vary widely depending upon the leather source.)

Roughout uses the hair side of the skin on the inside of the shoe/boot and the flesh side on the outside of the shoe, so reverse of what is commonly done, hence it is sometimes called a "reverse suede". Roughout from full grain leather is remarkably durable. As always, some may use the term "roughout" or "reverse suede" to mean other than is commonly used. Check before buying.
Never knew that.

EmergencyIan

I know I’ve mentioned it before, more than once, but ATF’s Roughout’s and other U.S. made boots are really good, in my experience. They poured a lot of money into them and it paid off. I’ve owned their Roughouts and the Service Shoes/Boots for the past two years. I also have owned the roughouts and service shoes that are sold by WWII Impressions. ATF’s are better (I’m typically a big fan of WWII Impressions). This coming from someone who isn’t particularly a fan of much of ATF’s clothing (the other stuff is generally pretty good, in my opinion).

- Ian

B-Man2

I agree with the two guys above me. ATF are really good wearing boots. Also keep in mind S &M Wholesale . Their Roughouts come pre-dubbed ....if you like that sort of thing . Problem is with buying stuff here in the US, you guys in Hungary take a heavy hit in import duties.

B-Man2

Do the ATF Roughouts run true to size?

Regards,
For the most part they do , however they are a little on the wide side because of the design of the boot. The US Marine boondocks are a little narrower than the US Army Rough Outs. At least that’s been my experience.

EmergencyIan

Do the ATF Roughouts run true to size?

Regards,

I agree with Burt. Their U.S. made boots due run true to size, from my experience. They may be slightly wide, though I hadn’t really noticed it, so I suppose it’s minor. I mention it like that since I do have somewhat narrow feet and when it’s an option I choose the narrow width in shoes and boots. My feet haven’t slipped around in these D widths getting my normal size 9. However, since I walk around in NYC, I always put Dr. Sholls insoles in most of my boots. That may make a slight difference. I really mention it in the interest of full disclosure. (I also add them to my Red Wings, but still need to go down half a size and most guys do).

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Thanks guys. I won't say l have duck feet but the wider fit the better.

Regards,

You’re welcome.

As I mentioned, I hadn’t noticed them being a bit wide, but, conversely, your feet certainly don’t feel cramped in them.

On a side note, Roughouts are comfortable from the first day. I think it’s just the nature of the leather.

- Ian

Officer Dibley

Greg, here's my Red Wings and WWII Impressions rough outs. Both are awesome. WW2 Impressions are cheaper at normal shop prices but nothing between them for quality. I paid £150 for my Red Wings though (BNWT) so they were cheaper for me.
If i had to only keep one pair......i'd rather sell the wife and keep both :D The WW2 Impression are the ones i wear most but i've had the RW longer.

IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Sweeet Grant. Look great !
I need some WW2 laces too. What length are they ?
Roughouts need hard wearing to give them character.

Last edited: