• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotenhahn deactivated

Steve27752

bfrench said:
Steve27752 said:
I would like to say, a big thanks to Chris for setting setting up and allowing us to access this forum.
And a thank you to the mods for the difficult decisions that they make.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all members who post on VLJ.
Now about the edit function :roll:

Guys, you have a 30 minute edit window.

Bill, there should not be a window at all. I should be able to edit MY posts as and when I wish to.

unclegrumpy

Steve27752 said:
Bill, there should not be a window at all. I should be able to edit MY posts as and when I wish to.

I disagree. The point of the short editing window is to make people think about what they are writing and be accountable for what they post. It is also to protect the integrity of the Forum. If every post could be endlessly edited, that would mean the moderators would have to keep an eye on all the history as well as the current posts. That would be a monumental job.

I agree that sometimes the 30 minute editing window can be frustrating. It is easy to make or miss a minor error, or have a failure in memory or say something stupid that falls outside the time frame to correct it. However, I think it is a reasonable window, and most of the time people are forgiving. When they are not, the razzing is generally in good fun. :D

TankBuster

unclegrumpy said:
Steve27752 said:

I disagree. The point of the short editing window is to make people think about what they are writing and be accountable for what they post. It is also to protect the integrity of the Forum. If every post could be endlessly edited, that would mean the moderators would have to keep an eye on all the history as well as the current posts. That would be a monumental job.

I agree that sometimes the 30 minute editing window can be frustrating. It is easy to make or miss a minor error, or have a failure in memory or say something stupid that falls outside the time frame to correct it. However, I think it is a reasonable window, and most of the time people are forgiving. When they are not, the razzing is generally in good fun. :D

Agreed. 30 minutes is more than sufficient.

ButteMT61

Editing after 30 mins means that unless someone quotes the whole of your post, it can be completely changed later to reflect badly on subsequent replies. 30 mins allows corrections and second-thoughts on those posts made while angry :lol:
Most places are this way - one exception is TFL, but it's so tightly wound there, it's not normally an issue.

m444uk

Does Rotenhahn (Jeff) post on any other forums, or is he persona non grata throughout the known universe ?

Vcruiser

bseal said:
Next thing we know, they'll revoke Senicko's privileges too. :cry:

Not really likely...
He has many sock puppet charactors laying in waiting to be resurrected in one form or other. He never has completely gone away..and never will. :shock:

A

Anonymous

Don't know Seniko, but I understand this is the last known photo of him.
slide_193341_405658_large.jpg

JDAM

bfrench said:
Guys, you have a 30 minute edit window.

Dear Mr. French,

Thank you, though 30 mins seems like an extremely dangerous proposition. I fear for the integrity of the forum and even my own life if this is maintained. Five minutes is more than enough to correct spelling mistakes and minor grammatical errors.

I also humbly request you consider expanding the selection of 'smileys' available to VLJ subjects? Smileys to represent 'boring' / 'nodding off' might be a valuable addition?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JDAM said:
I also humbly request you consider expanding the selection of 'smileys' available to VLJ subjects? Smileys to represent 'boring' / 'nodding off' might be a valuable addition?

yellowsleep.gif

Ian C

deeb7 said:
JDAM said:

yellowsleep.gif

No offence to anyone on here but we have a trolling problem on the archery forum I use. I'm pretty sure we use the same forum provider so how can I use or get that yawning smiley? It's just the job

Thanks,

Ian

ButteMT61

If you show code on any page, you'll see all the goodies there. It might - depending on your familiarity with HTML, etc. be easy or not for you.

Looking at the code, I see this: "http://www.abestweb.com/smilies/yellowsleep.gif"
If I put the same thing in the
it shows up like this
yellowsleep.gif

tom james

Interesting to note that the verbal interchange has gone from freedom-of-speech to smiley face emotes. Oh, the horror!

Dr H

But Tom moral indignation is pretty exhausting to sustain...

yellowsleep.gif

Hey, that worked...thanks Scott (and the edit function too... :ugeek: )

ButteMT61

tom james said:
Interesting to note that the verbal interchange has gone from freedom-of-speech to smiley face emotes. Oh, the horror!

Well, there's not much more to be said really. It's someone else's sandbox. We have to play by their rules. Freedom of speech is not an issue here. That's a gub'ment thing...

Ian C

tom james said:

True, but in the case on our forum it just shows the sentiment felt towards the old tit without engaging in an argument which was the intention of the old fool in the first place. Disarming but to the point.
I hasten to add that this in no way reflects my views to anyone on this forum.

Ian

Atticus

ButteMT61 said:
tom james said:

Well, there's not much more to be said really. It's someone else's sandbox. We have to play by their rules. Freedom of speech is not an issue here. That's a gub'ment thing...
Actually, that's not an entirely decided issue. There are arguments that internet forums and their members are cloaked with certain 1st Amendment protections because forums are granted use of regulated bandwidth in the same way that radio and television stations are granted use regulated broadcast frequencies.

As you may know, to bring the 1st Amendment into play, all that is necessary is government...or government sanctioned…suppression of protected speech.

AF

unclegrumpy

Atticus said:
There are arguments that internet forums and their members are cloaked with certain 1st Amendment protections because forums are granted use of regulated bandwidth in the same way that radio and television stations are granted use regulated broadcast frequencies.
What if the Forum is based in another Country....like Canada????

images