• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie question about Navy jackets…

mulceber

So, is there a reason why, from the M-422 up until the present, Navy flight jackets have all had button pockets instead of snaps? Why did they never switch to the closure that was easier to get open and closed? Is it out of a sense of tradition, or was there a more practical reason? It’s something I’ve always sort of wondered about, but never thought to ask.

MaydayWei

I actually have no idea.
My personal theory was that metal bits on the outside of the jacket were prone to rusting or vandergris over time; which is obviously undesirable. A problem avoided by using buttons instead.
This is probably why they were okay with a metal snap on the inside of the jacket, but never used metal snaps on the outside of the jacket.
This was probably exacerbated by the facts that navy jackets are probably exposed to more salt water too?

mulceber

I actually have no idea.
My personal theory was that metal bits on the outside of the jacket were prone to rusting or vandergris over time; which is obviously undesirable. A problem avoided by using buttons instead.
This is probably why they were okay with a metal snap on the inside of the jacket, but never used metal snaps on the outside of the jacket.
This was probably exacerbated by the facts that navy jackets are probably exposed to more salt water too?

Interesting thought - I like the point about how they use snaps inside the jacket but not outside. But it seems like the zipper would be the biggest offender when it comes to water damage. Doesn’t mean you’re wrong though.

B-Man2

Good question …
I don’t know the answer either but could it be that because the collar throat strap uses a button to keep it up in place and then another button to secure it around the throat area, that maybe a snap wouldn’t have held it securely and…. Since they had already used buttons in those areas, it may have just made sense to carry through with buttons on the rest of the jacket . Of course that’s just a SWAG (Systematic Wild Ass Guess) but I bet Steve Sellers or Dave Sheeley knows the answer to this one for sure . :)

robrinay

A further point is that the ANJ3 had buttons on its patch pockets not snaps even though the Army specified snaps on the A2 and the ANJ3 as you know was a ‘proposed’ replacement for the USAAF A2 and the Navy jackets. I also think this might have something to do with sea spray and it’s caustic effect on metal snaps too.