• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retirement G-1 Jacket

Maverickson

I have a picture that I would like to share with the forum. This is my fathers Navy G-1 that I presented him upon his retirement from his 33 year navy career. His original 1955 model G-1 jacket was stolen from his locker out of his hanger #23 at NAS Alameda. In August of 1979 I purchase a mil spec G-1 jacket and had three of his duplicate squadron patches attached to give to him at his retirement ceremony.

DSCN0519.jpg

My mother gave me the jacket when he passed away. Until now I was never again able to get the jacket away from him to finish it. Dad kept duplicates of all of his naval aviation career related jobs to which he was attached including squadrons, air wings, carriers, naval air stations, top gun, and airplanes. I will now have 18 of his aviation career associated patches attaced to the jacket. I will have only one naval air station duty stations attached because if I did all there would be not room to left for any others. The NAS Miramar patch will be attached because it was his first. Those photos of a completed jacket will be forth coming!

I have included a photo of him in the cocpit of a then experimental aircraft. This photo represents his squadron mates from VA-55 "The Warhorses" seen as the green and white checkered patch seen over the right breast of his jacket. At the time this photograph was taken
VA-55 flew the AD Skyraiderairplane seen ain the background. The US Navy was getting to transition their attack aircraft form propeller to jets.

4-27-2008-1.jpg

The A-4 Skyhawk seen in this photograph was to become my fathers favorite airplane. It was to take him and bring him home from two hair raising combat tours in Vietnam. Those two tours were flown off of the USS Orkiskany intermitantly lasting form May of 1966 through January of 1968. Air Wing 16, the air group for these tours suffered the greatest losses known to the U.S. Navy since Guadalcanal. Those participating included future Presidentail hopeful John McCain. My father came home as a lucky survivior. Before he died he told me that he felt as though he had lived a ful life, 80 years, and not to worry because he had outlived most of his compadres.

Falcon_52

Thanks for sharing your story with the forum. Great photos as well. That was a really thoughtful gift to give to your father; I'm sorry to hear that he passed on.

Noel