• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Flighter Crush Caps

Thought I'd share my three O.D. Green reproduction Flighter caps I've acquired over the last 10 years of re-enacting WWII Army Air Corps. On the far left is my first Flighter repro from Diamond Cap Co. way back in the day. I remember all the hype surrounding Diamond's caps when "Red Tails" was released. It was 2012 when I finally got my Diamond Flighter as a gift from a friend when I turned 17. As you can tell its been well worn (And well loved).
In the middle is my repro Bancroft Flighter from Society Brand Hat Co. I bought it in 2018 as my Diamond Flighter as you can tell was wearing out. It's made from a nice dark O.D. Gabardine and has a dark O.D. rayon band. I wore this cap to the Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford in 2019. Little did I know that was the last Flying Legends Airshow to be held before the IWM decided to kill it when Covid hit.
On the far right is my latest Flighter cap repro from Aviator Uniform Headwear in England. Although its labeled a "Fortress" cap on the sweatband the construction, shape and feel of the cap screams Flighter. Its a nice soft O.D. Gabardine material for the crown which compares the best to my original Flighter cap in my collection.

IMG_9929[1328].jpg

IMG_9930[1329].jpg
IMG_9931[1330].jpg

warguy

Thanks Flyboy, what a nice write up on what are probably the three best repro crushers to come to market. To clarify, you think the Aviator Fortress cap is the closest to your original Bancroft? I bought the Aviator Fortress last year and wrote a review on it here on the forum. I am quite happy with it, and it does compare nicely with the original Bancroft in my collection. I have never held a Society brand, they looked to have been of very high quality. Just interested in your thoughts between Society and Aviator brands? Which do you like the best? Thanks again. Kevin

Nice collection, Flyboy - how would you compare them I’m terms of materials, construction and such?
Each has its own merits. The Diamond Cap Flighter is heavier in weight than the others which contrasts to my original Flighter which is very light weight. However it has a great shape and maintains a great "Flighter" form and appearance. The Society Brand repro is great when compared to later war Flighters made from the dark O.D. Green material and the dark green rayon band. Its light weight and its appearance is great. The color of the leather is a nice rust/russet like on other originals. However the brim where it is folded over and sewn is thicker compared to my original. My Aviator Uniform cap in terms of materials is spot on. The gabardine has a nice and soft feel like my original whereas the other two feel a little more rough. When I first bought it the visor was very stiff despite it being single ply. However after sweating in it for a weekend at an event its now limp as a noodle as it should be.