• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction crushers?

ausreenactor

I have an original which has a finish exactly like the Chinese replica, and was never shiny.
The whole "everything gleaming in the sun' look wasn't all that common in WW2, that was something you more often see well into the postwar years once 'stay bright' insignia came around.
I might just put my extra original on my crusher when it shows up, but thought it'd be good to have a new replica just in case, especially for as little as I paid for it.
Intent of my comment was never to keep it shiny. Let it take on the patina over time...

MauldinFan

It JUST got here a few minutes ago. Thankfully I saw the mail truck pull up as I had to sign for it.
I had decided to swap out the original WW2 private purchase Eagle I'd had on my other reproduction service hat (actually, a former Texas A&M cadet hat) which has a perfect finish still on it.
20220919_103951.jpg

20220919_103946.jpg

It fits exactly as I like, not squeezing my head but not too loose.
20220919_104049-01.jpeg

This is worth every penny, I've been wanting something like this since the 1980s!
Thanks again for the suggestion, Michael is the best!

Attachments

• 20220919_104002.jpg
    20220919_104002.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

MauldinFan

20220919_202751-01.jpeg

20220919_202807-01.jpeg

Here is the new crusher on the left, compared with the Texas A&M ROTC cadet service hat I'd been using for my officer/war correspondent uniform for almost 20 years..
The crusher is as comfortable as a good fitting baseball cap. The service hat is stiff and uncomfortable after a while.

ausreenactor

It JUST got here a few minutes ago. Thankfully I saw the mail truck pull up as I had to sign for it.
I had decided to swap out the original WW2 private purchase Eagle I'd had on my other reproduction service hat (actually, a former Texas A&M cadet hat) which has a perfect finish still on it.
View attachment 83539
View attachment 83540
It fits exactly as I like, not squeezing my head but not too loose.
View attachment 83542
This is worth every penny, I've been wanting something like this since the 1980s!
Thanks again for the suggestion, Michael is the best!
Outstanding! Looks the part 100%

mlong0519

Hoping to revive this post from the dead a little, as I'm encountering the same problem and I'm sure others are too. Good crusher repros still seem incredibly hard to find, and originals seem too fragile to wear (and cost an arm and a leg!)

The only two of probable quality I can find online are the Top Pots one and FiveStar leather one. Anyone had experience with either of those?

Did foster ever end up going into production with Diamond Dave's former equipment?

Is Mike/Michael Handford of Military Aviator Headwear in England ([email protected]) still around making the "Fortress" caps? I sent an email but haven't heard back yet.

warguy

You might write to Society brand. I think he is in the military and mostly posted elsewhere, but if/when he returns to the states, he might start making them again. I had sent him an email once and replied over a year later asking if I was still interested. His prices are high, but the product looks great. I hope Michael responds, I have one of his and it is a super repro and less than the Society brand.

johnwayne

Society Hat brand are currently not taking orders apparently until the Autumn - the GW of hats it seems as the wait time grows! Surely this can’t all be on the back of MOTA??

mlong0519

Society Hat brand are currently not taking orders apparently until the Autumn - the GW of hats it seems as the wait time grows! Surely this can’t all be on the back of MOTA??
Ah that is disappointing to hear but I appreciate the update! Still waiting to hear back from Military Aviator Headwear but if not then I'll give the Toppots or 5* hats a go. I forgot MOTA only just aired a few months ago, that could certainly be a factor

Pilot

As a little side note..
I had ( three) WWII originals…WW2 crushers in gabardine ( the real ones not the felt USAAF ebay crapola ) size ranging from 7 1/8“ to 7 3/4“ offered here for approx.120 Euro plus courier shipping…snobbed … apparently because of „ DHL“ costs:)
Nobody interested… so they went to IMA… sold for 3x this offer I did here… just wondering…
äähh… a lot of other real good stuff from others here äääähhh, go into the same track/pattern….see and compare just the ebay ( and others ) listings right now.

mlong0519

As a little side note..
I had ( three) WWII originals…WW2 crushers in gabardine ( the real ones not the felt USAAF ebay crapola ) size ranging from 7 1/8“ to 7 3/4“ offered here for approx.120 Euro plus courier shipping…snobbed … apparently because of „ DHL“ costs:)
Nobody interested… so they went to IMA… sold for 3x this offer I did here… just wondering…
äähh… a lot of other real good stuff from others here äääähhh, go into the same track/pattern….see and compare just the ebay ( and others ) listings right now.
Oh wow, definitely seems rare to see an original in 7 3/4".

Definitely excited to utilize the sale page when I reach the account requirements. There's some great deals for sure!