• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction crushers?

MauldinFan

Going back to the original subject, I still can't find anyone who makes crushers.
How is it they all quit making them recently, and all at the same time?

Micawber

Going back to the original subject, I still can't find anyone who makes crushers.
How is it they all quit making them recently, and all at the same time?

Lack of demand, difficulties in material supply chain, material cost increases, something called Covid?

Just guessing.

Judging by what happened after the Memphis Belle remake was released followed by, SPR, BOB etc, you only have to wait until Masters Of The Air finally hits the screen. Productions like that have often resulted in a resurgence of interest in the period and increasing demand for original and manufacture of repro 'stuff'.

Just a thought based on personal observations.

ShanghaiJack

Lack of demand, difficulties in material supply chain, material cost increases, something called Covid?

Just guessing.

Judging by what happened after the Memphis Belle remake was released followed by, SPR, BOB etc, you only have to wait until Masters Of The Air finally hits the screen. Productions like that have often resulted in a resurgence of interest in the period and increasing demand for original and manufacture of repro 'stuff'.

Just a thought based on personal observations.

I bought 2 crushers from Mike at Aviator Military Headwear.
Both are absolutely excellent reproductions.

warguy

I agree! I bought one in chocolate gabardine last year off ebay from him. I did a write up on it on another thread. It really is exceptional. If he starts making them again. I would highly recommend one.

MauldinFan

I emailed Raymond a few times when I started my search. I even sent PMs to him through the WW2 Jeep forum I know he posts on, as well. He never responded to anything.

MauldinFan

Just made the payment on this an hour ago, Michael came through with a crusher in my size, it's exactly what I'd always wanted!
These are the photos he sent:
20220905_172540-1.jpg

20220905_172402-1.jpg

Can't wait to get it, as I might be doing a lecture on the 8th AF for a school in November, and I'd HAVE to wear this!

MauldinFan

Its in the US per the tracking. In the meantime, while I have another original hat eagle for this, I wanted one that looked as new as the hat.
So, I ordered this off eBay, a good looking repro of the pointy winged eagle for just over 20 bucks shipped from the People's Republic:
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Note how close it is to this original:
s-l1600 (9).jpg

ausreenactor

Its in the US per the tracking. In the meantime, while I have another original hat eagle for this, I wanted one that looked as new as the hat.
So, I ordered this off eBay, a good looking repro of the pointy winged eagle for just over 20 bucks shipped from the People's Republic:
View attachment 83371
Note how close it is to this original:
View attachment 83372
The finish on the standard Diamond repro is very flat. An original will get a great look after one polish then let it go....

MauldinFan

The finish on the standard Diamond repro is very flat. An original will get a great look after one polish then let it go....
I have an original which has a finish exactly like the Chinese replica, and was never shiny.
The whole "everything gleaming in the sun' look wasn't all that common in WW2, that was something you more often see well into the postwar years once 'stay bright' insignia came around.
I might just put my extra original on my crusher when it shows up, but thought it'd be good to have a new replica just in case, especially for as little as I paid for it.