• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction crushers?

Johnnie Espresso

A US WW2 crusher if all legit and sound and honest is 3-400US?
The bad guy’ s crusher if sound and honest is 5 to 10 times this figure ( for a real bad guy‘s crusher)…
No politics no discussion about bad and all wrong.. just discussing $$€€££££¥¥¥ and investments..
This reminded me of this classic bit of "Mitchell and Webb"....

B-Man2

Why buying fakes if originals are only 180 Euro plus Courier shipping Paypal for Friends..?… and available :)
EXACTLY !!
Why ???
Repros lose value . Originals increase in value.
Well said Bryce!
That’s a beauty you have there by the way.
Are you think about selling that one ?
Put me at the head of the Q if so.
Cheers

B-Man2

Why buying fakes if originals are only 180 Euro plus Courier shipping Paypal for Friends..?… and available :)
Bryce
Tried to PM you but I think I’m blocked. Not sure why …….. but I’m definitely interested in your cap in this thread so PM me back.
Regards

Micawber

When I was still collecting seriously there was always a plentiful supply of original Bancroft Flighter and similar ready made crusher visor caps in OD and tan in good big sizes in excellent condition. Owned many, all sold now.

B-Man2

When I was still collecting seriously there was always a plentiful supply of original Bancroft Flighter and similar ready made crusher visor caps in OD and tan in good big sizes in excellent condition. Owned many, all sold now.
Steve … I bet there was probably some large stock piles of things like this left over in the UK after the war . I would have liked to have lived there in the 1950s, just to see some of this stuff and pick up some of it. I bet you’ve got some great stories to tell.

Pilot

Steve … I bet there was probably some large stock piles of things like this left over in the UK after the war . I would have liked to have lived there in the 1950s, just to see some of this stuff and pick up some of it. I bet you’ve got some great stories to tell.
PM sent.

MauldinFan

A US WW2 crusher if all legit and sound and honest is 3-400US?
It's not ANY price if nobody makes them now. I'm okay with paying a decent amount for a good repro, as I started looking for a good original in the late 1980s and have never found one for any price to fit the 7 3/4 size I'd need.
I can't wait too long either. My wife okayed this but when she does so, it's only until something comes up that takes the available cash from that current paycheck, and then the window is gone. It doesn't come back.

Micawber

It's not ANY price if nobody makes them now. I'm okay with paying a decent amount for a good repro, as I started looking for a good original in the late 1980s and have never found one for any price to fit the 7 3/4 size I'd need.
I can't wait too long either. My wife okayed this but when she does so, it's only until something comes up that takes the available cash from that current paycheck, and then the window is gone. It doesn't come back.

With respect if you've been unsuccessfully looking for a large size original for approximately thirty years I suggest you have been looking in the wrong places ;)

warguy

Steve respectfully speaking, I am an ardent collector of original militaria, attend several shows each year in the States and scour the internet and lately have been paying attention to original AAF materials. Original true crushers, especially in that large size just arent that common today. Personally, I wouldn’t wear an original, with the delicate celluloid and fragile sweatbands and stitching in many of them, I wouldnt want to risk it. Just my opinion. The really nice wartime Bancrofts, Flight Aces, and others, if in excellent plus condition are selling for $350 and up when I do see them come to market, and once again, probably 95% of those are in a size 7 or smaller.

Thomas.m

Diamond Dave was making these for Eastman, as of about 10 years ago. I do not know when he stopped supplying crusher caps to Eastman, but I think it was around the time he started making A-2 jackets, maybe around 2014/2015?
That’s right, I purchased the Diamond Cap Co. Crushed cap from Eastman Leather about 12 years ago, it costed only 149.- £ at that time if I’m not wrong

foster

We do not have the perforated leather sweatband as used in the Flighter style, so far the few ones we have made used smooth kip leather for the sweatband. From what I remember, the man who made those perforated ones for Diamond was advanced in years, and may have retired from the trade.

MauldinFan

With respect if you've been unsuccessfully looking for a large size original for approximately thirty years I suggest you have been looking in the wrong places ;)
Really. How many have you encountered?
I used to know the biggest vendors of US stuff back in the 90s (I even did the catalog drawings for Military Marketplace in Georgia) and none ever had one that size. Regularly hit the big militaria shows and the big ones never showed up. EBay? I've had the search saved for over a decade and one has never turned up.
So, where are they?
The biggest I ever found was 7 1/2 and it just wasn't big enough.
Besides, as Warguy corrected pointed out, wearing originals that old probably isn't the wisest move, but it's not like I have any options either way.

Last edited:

Micawber

Really. How many have you encountered?
I used to know the biggest vendors of US stuff back in the 90s (I even did the catalog drawings for Military Marketplace in Georgia) and none ever had one that size. Regularly hit the big militaria shows and the big ones never showed up. EBay? I've had the search saved for over a decade and one has never turned up.
So, where are they?
The biggest I ever found was 7 1/2 and it just wasn't big enough.
Besides, as Warguy corrected pointed out, wearing originals that old probably isn't the wisest move, but it's not like I have any options either way.

I'm in the UK, contacts [not dealers] sourced and bought in the US and sent them over. Last buying spree would have been late 90's early 2000's but then kids came along and I sold the collection.

Micawber

Steve respectfully speaking, I am an ardent collector of original militaria, attend several shows each year in the States and scour the internet and lately have been paying attention to original AAF materials. Original true crushers, especially in that large size just arent that common today. Personally, I wouldn’t wear an original, with the delicate celluloid and fragile sweatbands and stitching in many of them, I wouldnt want to risk it. Just my opinion. The really nice wartime Bancrofts, Flight Aces, and others, if in excellent plus condition are selling for $350 and up when I do see them come to market, and once again, probably 95% of those are in a size 7 or smaller.

Agree 100 %. I wouldn't wear an original these days but there again I'm not a re-enactor. Bigger sizes were always rare. By choice my personal active collecting days are over but I do keep an eye on market trends and values.

johnwayne

Guess we’re all big heads now compared to those courageous youngsters back then!
Still for sale on ELC’s classified page is a DD Crusher size 7.3/8 for £250.00 - whoever is not selling it well though as the pic makes it look like someone sat on it!!