• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Crusher Comparison

jschare

Here is a visual reproduction comparison, for those who may be interested. The hat on the left is a Society Brand Hat Company I purchased about 6 years ago. I believe this was a stock hat. It isn't a Flighter however, I don't recall all of the particulars of it. It is OD wool with OD braid and satin lining. The middle hat is my recent purchase from Aviator Military Headwear. This is a "Flighter" model, although he brands it "Fortress". It is Barathea pink wool with khaki braiding. The hat on the right I purchased roughly 12 years ago from National Capital Historical Sales. The hat is made by the Lancaster Cap Company. It is basically a service hat with the stiffiner removed. It's OD wool with OD braid.

The first photos are all three together. The single hat photos are the Society Brand, NCHS Lancaster hat and finally the Aviator Military Headwear hat.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 244
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 161

jschare

It only allows 10 photos uploaded at a time so here are the other 10.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0021.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0033.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0039.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 169

warguy

Which in your assessment is the best? Best made, best look, best repro of the original, etc?

Micawber

Here is a visual reproduction comparison, for those who may be interested. The hat on the left is a Society Brand Hat Company I purchased about 6 years ago. I believe this was a stock hat. It isn't a Flighter however, I don't recall all of the particulars of it. It is OD wool with OD braid and satin lining. The middle hat is my recent purchase from Aviator Military Headwear. This is a "Flighter" model, although he brands it "Fortress". It is Barathea pink wool with khaki braiding. The hat on the right I purchased roughly 12 years ago from National Capital Historical Sales. The hat is made by the Lancaster Cap Company. It is basically a service hat with the stiffiner removed. It's OD wool with OD braid.

The first photos are all three together. The single hat photos are the Society Brand, NCHS Lancaster hat and finally the Aviator Military Headwear hat.

Please post these and the following lot as full size photos, you get the option when you upload them. You should be able to click 'edit' and then select how the images appear - currently all I see are attachment icons and I don't have the oomph to go through them all individually.

jschare

Please post these and the following lot as full size photos, you get the option when you upload them. You should be able to click 'edit' and then select how the images appear - currently all I see are attachment icons and I don't have the oomph to go through them all individually.
Actually, it didn't allow me to do that originally nor does it allow me to do it now. Maybe the images are too big. Your loss if you don't have the oomph to view them...

jschare

Which in your assessment is the best? Best made, best look, best repro of the original, etc?
They all have their merits but I like the Aviator Military Headwear one the best but it may be because its the newest.

Micawber

Actually, it didn't allow me to do that originally nor does it allow me to do it now. Maybe the images are too big. Your loss if you don't have the oomph to view them...

That's odd but as you say probably too big and clearly beyond your capability to make them more accessible. Shame.

ShanghaiJack

The old guy, yet very effective, method of "crushing" ones repro cap is:

1. Fill a little spray/mist bottle with distilled water.
2. Place the cap on a foam head.
3. Spray the crush cap until wet.
4. Place a headset on the cap, and allow it to air dry.
NO HEAT

Repeat as necessary.

My Aviator Military Headwear Co UK crushers are being made now,
and I'm looking forward to having them in-hand, then on-head.

:p

Last edited:

ausreenactor

C
The old guy, yet very effective, method of "crushing" ones repro cap is:

1. Fill a little spray/mist bottle with distilled water.
2. Place the cap on a foam head.
3. Spray the crush cap until wet.
4. Place a headset on the cap, and allow it to air dry.
NO HEAT

Repeat as necessary.

My Aviator Military Headwear Co UK crushers are being made now,
and I'm looking forward to having them in-hand, then on-head.

:p
Can someone throw me the email address again please?

Greg Gale

Sorry to revive this thread but what’s the word, what’s the best crusher repro available today? I cna’t find anything about aviation military headwear