• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro MA-1 with Original Patches

B-Man2

I happened to meet a guy today while at a local gun show, who was wearing a repro MA-1 Flight Jacket . We started to discuss jackets and he explained that he had turned his original MA-1 in when he departed the Air Force, but that he had saved all of his original patches and awards. He said that he found a nice repro and put all of his original awards and patches back on the jacket and wears it whenever the weather permits . Having taken a good look at the jacket I wasn’t so sure that all the patches were originals but he was kind enough to let me photograph his jacket and here it is;

4D7F7007-7439-4BE5-8F8F-726658CE0D6F.jpeg

D16622A4-D492-47CF-85A9-11E616AB3056.jpeg

Last edited:

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Don't like both things - initial removing original patches from the original jacket and then stitching those original patches on a repro.
It almost ruined the original jacket and doesn't make repro looking a tiny bit like the original.
The result - almost ruined original and strange looking overpatched repro.
That's not my cup of tea.
P.S. Some patches shown above don't look like originals. Some are originals possibly, but not all.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Don't like both things - initial removing original patches from the original jacket and then stitching those original patches on a repro.
It almost ruined the original jacket and doesn't make repro looking a tiny bit like the original.
P.S. Some patches shown above don't look like originals. Some are originals possibly, but not all.
Hi Lebowski
I just wanted to reply to your posting and clarify that he didn’t actually damage or destroy the original jacket . The Air Force probably did that when he turn his jacket back in when he left the service. He didn’t get to keep his jacket so he took the patches off before he gave it back.
I totally agree that many of the patches are not original and are new reproductions
Cheers

Lebowski

whether any of us like it or not, or have opinions about "to patch, or not to patch" it dont mean a hill of beans to the owner.....he likes it, he served, and he gets to wear it as HE likes, period.
Yep, that's the other side of the coin.

Lebowski

Hi Lebowski
I just wanted to reply to your posting and clarify that he didn’t actually damage or destroy the original jacket . The Air Force probably did that when he turn his jacket back in when he left the service. He didn’t get to keep his jacket so he took the patches off before he gave it back.
I totally agree that many of the patches are not original and are new reproductions
Cheers
I understand Burt, cheers.

Officer Dibley

Well, that saying about opinions and arseholes has never seemed more apt....... Can’t a vet’ just do what he wants anymore ? Has he not earned that right ?

Lebowski

Well, that saying about opinions and arseholes has never seemed more apt....... Can’t a vet’ just do what he wants anymore ? Has he not earned that right ?
The opinion above was only about the jacket(s) and the patches, strictly according with the topic theme. Burt and me have understood each other well.
Any vets can do what they want of course. I wouldn't like to discuss any vets with anybody, vets deserve sincere honor and respect. That's it. Nothing to discuss there.

B-Man2

Everything is good, I’m sure there was no intent to criticize vets or their service. It was just an opinion about the jacket . I get that, no offense taken from my personal prospective. And thanks to the guys who are vets here, to those who have served or in Couchy’s case , who are serving now. Thank you for giving all of us the chance to enjoy our lives and lifestyles, often times at the extreme sacrifice of your own.
Thank you all!

Lebowski

Everything is good, I’m sure there was no intent to criticize vets or their service. It was just an opinion about the jacket . I get that, no offense taken from my personal prospective. And thanks to the guys who are vets here, to those who have served or in Couchy’s case , who are serving now. Thank you for giving all of us the chance to enjoy our lives and lifestyles, often times at the extreme sacrifice of your own.
Thank you all!
Exactly, thanks Burt!
Well said and that's what I would like to say from myself.

Spitfireace

As a vet I kind of resent people who have never served wearing tacky looking patched repros If you have actually served as said above, you can do whatever you want. Wear it in good health. But also as a vet, don't pretend you did something you actually didn't.

UBIK

No, all patches are not originals. For sure the Bullet Operation patches, 306th, are good. Linebacker is a repro for sure, Arc light/young tiger seems too. And the 1 missions could be also. On the front the nametags , SAC, MCC patches are ok.

dinomartino1

I find the jacket interesting as each patch is a bit of history of the guys time in the Air Force.

Last edited: