• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Crushers

Brettafett

We could offer to name them after her..

Bancroft Fighters... becomes 'Foster' Fighters. For example (obv I don't know her name) ;)
Although if these do come about, Im sure they'll be referred too as Foster's Crushers, just like we refer to Platon's Dubows...

warguy

So let me start by saying I really hope we see a future for the Foster crusher. Early in this thread, I had promised to do a review of the Aviator cap I purchased off ebay. Even though this post turned into a focus of support and encouragement for the Foster cap, I feel I still owe the review to those who might be waiting for it, so here goes.

My cap arrived in about ten days. I thought this was excellent for overseas shipping. As a reminder, my cap was already made, (I don't know if it was an extra in the stock room, or maybe a cancelled order?). The cap is made by Military Aviator Headwear out of Birmingham, England. you can reach them by email at [email protected]. The cap was in my size so I bought it off ebay and didn't have to wait the 4-6 week period to have it made to order. Communications with the seller were fantastic. The cap came in a carboard box that was a little worse for wear from the trip over the pond. The box has a nice vintage sticker on it, and the cap was carefully packed in cream colored tissue paper which also has a vintage feel. I really appreciate this attention to detail. I am very happy with hat. The quality is outstanding, and manufacture excellent. I have several original crushers in my collection, and I feel this cap matches pretty closely with the quality of many of the originals. I love the look, the low crown, flexible leather visor, color of the leather as well as the OD color of the hat body, etc. The eagle insignia is a faithful reproduction, although I find all of these repros to be a bit bright, and they almost look like the post war stay-brite finish of military insignia in the 50's-60's to date. The insignia was packaged separately on a vintage looking card. It has a screw back post and two clutch back stabilizer pins. I have always seen stabilizer pins on original insignia, but never with clutches. I suppose you don't have to use the clutches if you don't want to. Anyway, I chose to replace this insignia with an original WWII Gemsco Acid test large sized eagle. Photos two and three are of the original cap eagle. The first photo of cap front has the repro insignia that was supplied, the second and subsequent photos are with the original eagle, which is likely how I will wear it.

Once again, the hat is an excellent reproduction in my opinion. If I was to be super picky, I might suggest that perhaps the materials feel just a bit lighter or thinner than originals. It is possible though that this is due to a hardening of the celluloid sweat protector on most originals. The cap is also just a touch large, not enough to cause me too much concern, but it is possible they run just a smidge big. I also wish the box was a little sturdier or thicker, as I intend to store the cap in the box when not in use, and like the label on the box.

This cap not a "cheap" or inexpensive option, but less than at least one top shelf reproduction previously offered. If you are looking for a crusher that looks and feels like a period original, I think you will be satisfied with this example. If anyone has any other questions they would like to ask fire away. I have supplied a number of photos.
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
is

Last edited:

ausreenactor

So let me start by saying I really hope we see a future for the Foster crusher. Early in this thread, I had promised to do a review of the Aviator cap I purchased off ebay. Even though this post turned into a focus of support and encouragement for the Foster cap, I feel I still owe the review to those who might be waiting for it, so here goes.

My cap arrived in about ten days. I thought this was excellent for overseas shipping. As a reminder, my cap was already made, (I don't know if it was an extra in the stock room, or maybe a cancelled order?). The cap is made by Military Aviator Headwear out of Birmingham, England. you can reach them by email at [email protected]. The cap was in my size so I bought it off ebay and didn't have to wait the 4-6 week period to have it made to order. Communications with the seller were fantastic. The cap came in a carboard box that was a little worse for wear from the trip over the pond. The box has a nice vintage sticker on it, and the cap was carefully packed in cream colored tissue paper which also has a vintage feel. I really appreciate this attention to detail. I am very happy with hat. The quality is outstanding, and manufacture excellent. I have several original crushers in my collection, and I feel this cap matches pretty closely with the quality of many of the originals. I love the look, the low crown, flexible leather visor, color of the leather as well as the OD color of the hat body, etc. The eagle insignia is a faithful reproduction, although I find all of these repros to be a bit bright, and they almost look like the post war stay-brite finish of military insignia in the 50's-60's to date. The insignia was packaged separately on a vintage looking card. It has a screw back post and two clutch back stabilizer pins. I have always seen stabilizer pins on original insignia, but never with clutches. I suppose you don't have to use the clutches if you don't want to. Anyway, I chose to replace this insignia with an original WWII Gemsco Acid test large sized eagle. Photos two and three are of the original cap eagle. The first photo of cap front has the repro insignia that was supplied, the second and subsequent photos are with the original eagle, which is likely how I will wear it.

Once again, the hat is an excellent reproduction in my opinion. If I was to be super picky, I might suggest that perhaps the materials feel just a bit lighter or thinner than originals. It is possible though that this is due to a hardening of the celluloid sweat protector on most originals. The cap is also just a touch large, not enough to cause me too much concern, but it is possible they run just a smidge big. I also wish the box was a little sturdier or thicker, as I intend to store the cap in the box when not in use, and like the label on the box.

This cap not a "cheap" or inexpensive option, but less than at least one top shelf reproduction previously offered. If you are looking for a crusher that looks and feels like a period original, I think you will be satisfied with this example. If anyone has any other questions they would like to ask fire away. I have supplied a number of photos.View attachment 65271View attachment 65272View attachment 65273View attachment 65274View attachment 65275View attachment 65276View attachment 65277View attachment 65278View attachment 65279View attachment 65280is
This is a really good reproduction Crusher!

warguy

The seller told me in a response to several questions that they currently don’t have a website. I have the feeling it’s still a pretty small operation.

Thomas Koehle

This cap not a "cheap" or inexpensive option, but less than at least one top shelf reproduction previously offered. If you are looking for a crusher that looks and feels like a period original, I think you will be satisfied with this example. If anyone has any other questions they would like to ask fire away. I have supplied a number of photos.View attachment 65271View attachment 65272View attachment 65273View attachment 65274View attachment 65275View attachment 65276View attachment 65277View attachment 65278View attachment 65279View attachment 65280is

Cap looks splendid