• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Capri Bells

Bombing IP

s-l1600cappri.jpg

These come out of China they look very well reproed and for less than $20 shipped to your door are a good alternative to an original .Which are now getting very expensive ,get your jeweller to silver plate them without the buffing and no one would be the wiser (repo jacket + repro Capri bell why not ) .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPRO-WWII...VIATOR-JACKET-LUCKY-BELL-BRASS/273505603156?_

s-l160SAN MICHELL.jpg

The set above is in ebay auction with 20+ hours left at the time of posting ,has a date of 1945 on opposite side of bell .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Pilot...d-Luck-Bell-Thunder-Acme-Whistle/323557913091

BIP

Last edited:

Edward

Hey, you could have stopped in Italy on the way back from a shuttle mission!
very true! I'm sure a few made their way to ATC crew or even on to other members in various air forces locations... maybe given to others along the way! I'm a big fan of "lucky charms" and various talisman items that crew used to get through their missions. I have three vintage Capri bells and I even keep a vintage four leaf clover in my own pocket because traffic is so bad I need all the luck I can get to complete my own weekly missions! :p

Greg Gale

I'm really tempted to buy one of these ,then again, Capri sounds like a nice holiday destination too :D do you think they still sell these vintage versions there?

Boyo

I took a chance on one as well.. I have one already but its of a different shape ( much longer)

Otter

Beat me to it Ken, I knew you used to do them and was running off to check. Have they got cheaper, £16 a few years back springs to mind.

Ken at Aero Leather

Beat me to it Ken, I knew you used to do them and was running off to check. Have they got cheaper, £16 a few years back springs to mind.

We've been doing these for the best part of 25 years. I know they were £8 at one time, not sure when of if they went down
(I thought they were £20 at one time?) but when we find a cheaper source for something we generally pass the savings on to the customer rather than trousers the difference.

falcon_ib

IMG_4599.jpg

Mine arrived a few days ago from China. It's very well made and sturdy, though I don't have any originals to compare it to.

Frankly I don't understand how so many guys in the Mediterranean wore these things - it rings and jingles so much it's like a cowbell hanging from my collar hook! Guess I'll just say I'm getting in the holiday spirit:rolleyes:

Edward

Mine arrived a few days ago from China. It's very well made and sturdy, though I don't have any originals to compare it to.

Frankly I don't understand how so many guys in the Mediterranean wore these things - it rings and jingles so much it's like a cowbell hanging from my collar hook! Guess I'll just say I'm getting in the holiday spirit:rolleyes:

I stuffed some cotton in mine to keep them from jingling.
Those Chinese repros are actually quite accurate to some of the design variations I've seen although too shiny LOL! dunk it into something corrosive for an hour. LOL!

Otter

Coke has a large amount of phosphoric acid in it, not too aggressive, should be a good starting place.

Edward

Great idea! Any recommendations on materials I can use to take that shine off?
is it brass? Apply salt water to make brass slightly darker. ... soak in vinegar for more pronounced aging. ... then wash and rinse with warm water and dry.