• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro buying question

Whatsit

hi All
Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question.
I have three repro jackets. Two (A2 and B3) are from early 90’s or late 80’s made be Wilson that I bought new in the days before internet and eBay. And just bought an 80’s Cooper to play around with painting etc. my hope was to next buy an RAF Irvin and then an Eastman A2. When my wife saw that Eastman’s were up to near if not more then $1000 she said no. So two questions, 1st is there an order of brands from cheapest to Eastman to original I could look for to start buying? And is there a decent raf B3 that I could get for around $100-$200? I am talking used.
Hope this makes sense
Mike

Last edited:

Brettafett

Hi Mike,

A few guys have been discovering some decent-looking jackets made in China, at very competitive prices. Perhaps theres something there?

I don't think there is any order per se... lots of subjectivity and perspectives involved. Depends who you speak too, and what is ultimately important to them.
Not just overall costs, but cost-vs-detail, level of authenticity, quality, general fit, customer service, wait times, etc...
One could get lucky with Ebay.

That said, AVI LTHR has said that they have a couple of 'new' jackets launching this year. We know they are developing a Perry A-2, upgrading their 55J14 G-1 and... a 'winter' jacket. Well, we don't know more than that. Could be a B-3, a B-6, D-1, Irvin... we don't know. I do believe it will be one of these and based on the quality of their jackets thus far, if they do venture into sheepskin, it should be good. Their prices are pretty good for 'new' jackets. Perhaps you want to email them and ask... Who knows, you may glean something new... (let us know!)

Greg Gale

As Jay said, WPG has a RAF Irvin for 3-400. I have one, and I can't recommend it enough. It's not put together as well as an ELC, lacks some details, but otherwise looks just like an original.

Whatsit

Oh well. I guess I’m just only ever going to be a novice collector. Sorry for offering those for calling the RAF Irvin an RAF B3.
Thanks all for your replies
Mike

Cocker

No offense at all, Mike, just wanted to make sure what you were talking about ;-)

As for the price, indeed, don't think there is anything viable in that range. The best option, as other mentioned, is WPG's Irvin.

Officer Dibley

Three things to remember:
1. It is easier to ask for forgiveness thsn permission. That works for the first jacket purchase only btw.
2. Learn how to squirrel away money for jackets so you can disguise the real cost !
3. Be patient, good second (or third or fourth) hand jackets do come up but most of the depreciation is when selling jacket second hand.

Smithy

Every WWII aviation nut should own an Irvin or a B-3 at least once, the waist length, full fleece, sheepskin flying jacket is iconic and symbolic of the era, and they pretty much disappeared from military service after the war.

If you want an Irvin, ELC is top of the heap (there was an English bloke in France (Jon from Aces High) making some which were arguably even better but he seems to have disappeared). Saying that if you get a good ELC the sheepskin is fantastic, mine (a 2007 vintage) is really starting to look like an original. The zippers aren't entirely correct but are easily switched. I simply love my one.

For a cheap option the WPG is hard to beat for the price. QC with WPG stuff can be a bit over the show and their Irvin is the same, some had leather seam tapes, others plastic. The zippers can be problematic but if you're on a budget it's the best bet and actually looks very good.

B-3s aren't my speciality but if I was going to get a repro it would be an ELC. They just look magnificent. There's other high end repro B-3 makers like the Japanese ones but ELC's always look spectacular.

Long and the short of it, if you want a repro sheepskin/shearling flight jacket, get an Eastman.