• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Buyer's Guide

stanier

Agreed, Stanier - I think you and I are on the same page?
We certainly are Mulceber, but I'm not sure who else is!

If someone posts here looking for the best value A-2, as they have, my take away has been 80% plus talk of Platon's jacket with Five Star gaining ground. The build of Platon's jacket is reported as being up there with best makers and five star seems a little more vague or early doors but significantly cheaper. These seem like the undisputed bargains - who else is there? Same with some looking for usaaf kitbag as a fun item weekend's away. (Can't wait for those to return!) Seems hard to beat the value of SoF.

Picking over the latest Good wear versus a Maverickson Navy jacket would be a while other ball game and not my intent at all, for example.

Sometimes I think we inadvertently slip into taking ourselves too seriously. If a soul wants to ignore the advice here then fine! I'm sure the guys at ELC still sleep soundly at night regardless of this forums thoughts about their products and pricing!

stanier

Actually sorry to drone on about kit bags, but they are a great example of what I'm talking about. I'd seen the elc kitbag for some years and much as I liked them my common sense said too much money for what you get.

Then someone (I think it was Smithy) started a thread about kit bags and the SoF offering at a much more sensible price. Now I always thought of SoF as being the sort of company that sells army airforce crusher caps that make the wearer look like Colonel Gadaffi in 1975 after drinking Barocca. But after looking at the bag it seemed great and orderimg one confirmed it. Carl put me in touch with an extremely talented artist and now one of my most prized possessions is my kit bag that I hugy enjoy using at every opportunity. If it hadn't been for this forum pointing me at that bargain, I wouldn't have that pleasure and I'm very grateful to Smithy, or whoever it was! :rolleyes:

Spitfireace

We certainly are Mulceber, but I'm not sure who else is!

If someone posts here looking for the best value A-2, as they have, my take away has been 80% plus talk of Platon's jacket with Five Star gaining ground. The build of Platon's jacket is reported as being up there with best makers and five star seems a little more vague or early doors but significantly cheaper. These seem like the undisputed bargains - who else is there? Same with some looking for usaaf kitbag as a fun item weekend's away. (Can't wait for those to return!) Seems hard to beat the value of SoF.

Picking over the latest Good wear versus a Maverickson Navy jacket would be a while other ball game and not my intent at all, for example.

Sometimes I think we inadvertently slip into taking ourselves too seriously. If a soul wants to ignore the advice here then fine! I'm sure the guys at ELC still sleep soundly at night regardless of this forums thoughts about their products and pricing!
lol

ausreenactor

Some of the SoF items are pretty ordinary like you say. The garrison/overseas caps are another.

Some might say that the price for a Society Brand, American Visor or Diamond crusher is over the top when compared to the cheaper versions. You get what you pay for..... That's what a free market guarantees.

bn1966

I've got an ELC kit-bag funnily enough that I purchased a few years ago and don't begrudge the price I paid for what I got.

That said I'm all over Shawn's 'Helmet Bags' and should have one in my sticky paws within a week or so. Got some custom paintwork scheduled in for it too...

bellumbill

Thanks for this! Hope its true Bronson starts making some larger sizes - I'd be in for a few different jackets if that were the case - and a C2 sweater - I have always loved those have a few in my collection - think they would be great to throw on in the fall.

Best,
Bill K.