• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro A-2 Jackets with Hard Use--Let's see yours!

This is a Goodwear Leather Company J.A. Dubow Mfg. Co. Order No. W535-ac-27798 made in Seal Brown Horsehide that was purchased by me back in the early Autumn of 2009. In that time it has been my go-to jacket and has braved everything from Boston winters to trips to the U.K. and India. As you can see it has plenty of honest wear.
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg

Flightengineer

dav3469

This is my first A2 Jacket. Purchased back in my hometown from a local midwest "Surplus Store" in about 1984. It was my Christmas present for the year. I had recently "lettered" on the Varsity football team at school. I had my choice of the flight jacket, or our schools Letterman jacket. I chose the A2. The football Letter still sits on a shelf......

I don't know much about "The Golden Fleece", was it just one of the many "mall jacket" knockoff's in the 80's? Was it some other brands "alternate" name? Couldn't tell you. Didn't really much care back then. But it has stood up to the test of time, and is still one of my most favorite. Haven't been able to wear it in 20 years. It has held up fairly well. The separation in the right rear seam is not due to age. As I recall, I got into a bit of a scuffle with a kid bullying another kid on the school bus... The jacket was a trim fit, and I put a bit too much stress on the seam during the wrestling around........It never "gapped" open when wearing, so I just never got around to taking it in to get fixed. There are places on the lining (mainly where it meets the waistband), where it wore thin, and somewhere along the way I repaired it as I went with a few stitches here and there.

It's no (fill in blank here) high quality repro, but it gave good service as a daily (and I mean every day) wear jacket from about the age of 14-25. Hopefully someday it will fit one of the grandsons.....

IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg

B-Man2

I’ll take a stab at this but don’t quote me . I believe the Golden Fleece label was derived from the I Spiewak and Sons. Company. A leather goods company dating back to the early 1900.s .
They had a contract to produce A2 jackets for the US Army Air Force and after the war continued to make leather goods and jackets . If you’d like more information google Golden Fleece Company and I spiewak & Sons.
Cheers

taikonaut

I have seen that thread and respect those views but then I don't hold repros to the same standard. When I wear a repro I don't feel constantly reminded about the war, though I respect those that do. Each their own. I use to be in a reenactor forum, it was a bit too much so I no longer went there anymore.

Flightengineer

I have seen that thread and respect those views but then I don't hold repros to the same standard. When I wear a repro I don't feel constantly reminded about the war, though I respect those that do. Each their own. I use to be in a reenactor forum, it was a bit too much so I no longer went there anymore.

I didn't want to offend anyone or teach. 30 years ago I had combat experience in my youth (I spent 1.5 years of my military service in the war) and for me personally the attempts to “decorate” my jacket with a bullet hole seem like a stupid idea.
This is just my personal opinion only.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Fully agree, still have the ( schrapnell ) scare of one in MY skin, a souvenir from Sarajevo...want to see/feel it?
Pilot, it sounds terrible and scary. It was a horrible tragedy.
The only reason I can try to assume - is that guy doesn't understand what he has said above. "Adventurous" look of bullet holes - what a stupid thing to say.

Last edited:

Micawber

Has anyone thought about firing a bullet hole or two for that "been there" adventurous look:)

If one were being paid to prepare the item for a bona fide actor to wear during a theatrical or film production I suppose I could understand the motives otherwise no, never. If I saw an item that had been subject to mock bullet holes in day to day wear I think I would probably want to steer well clear of the wearer ;)