• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replica stuff Circa 1990's I did

stephen210

Here is some stuff I did back in the 1990's. Before the net. I use to set up a militaria and gun shows. Ahhh..the good old days. I haven't done any in along time. Miss it though.

Thanks for looking
Steve
11-27-07_15_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_19_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_12_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_14_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_10_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_7_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_20_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_11_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_5_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_4_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_6_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_18_edited-2.jpg

11-27-07_17_edited-1.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

Dang Son , you need to get back to doing them again, that is some fantastic work there for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Johnny

stephen210

Thanks.
I stop due to kids getting older and not enough time in the day. Stopped going to the shows and then the Net came on an there were all sorts of people doing art it looked like. So just kinda fell to the wayside.

Now that the kiddos are pretty much grown up might break out the brushes. I figure I will be pretty rusty though.

they were all done with brushes. no Airbrushing.

S.

dmar836

Often now they are overdone with airbrushing, fades, etc. There is a modern interpretation of artwork added that wasn't originally there. In addition, the content gets way too complicated. While there are some "extensive" originals, I find most are simple like these.
Strong work!
Dave

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey , the all "Brushes" is the way they were "Originally" done anyway , so you're doing it "authentically" , I make my leather unit patches the same way , all hand done .

Hope you can get back into the artwork , your talent I'm sure will be well appreciated and "WANTED" by many !
Johnny

stephen210

Funny, when I was doing these I was going to take an art class on painting. (never had any classes) But my buddies told me not to as most the art done was by guys who never took classes but had some talent in the units. So my untrained hack was what the vets and purists wanted.
I loved hearing the stories of how some of them left their jackets behind after they were discharged as the Mom's, wife and girl friends would like seeing this explisit art.
LOL .. now 50 years later the Vets want to wear the jacket. And PROUD as they should be.
I did have to suggest adding a little clothing to a few as it still was a little risque to wear in public even today.
Increadable men they are. Hat off to all of them!

a2jacketpatches

Just ran across this post again, I remember seeing it in a hurry. Just wanted to comment on how nice your work is. Still doing it?

jbmilart

Great work!... A lot of balance with the colors... great blending techniques too!... I wish, I had the confidence to paint something on a leather jacket like that... The problem with that is... if I screw up a patch... I just start again with a new piece of leather... you screw up on a A-2 jacket... that's a 800 dollar plus mistake!... I see from your art board... you're using, Testors Model paint?... I think, and I'm sure the rest of the fellas here... wish you would continue your art... it's really good work... using the "old style", paint brushes... like I do also... is becoming a lost technique of sorts... keep it up my friend...

Jim

2jakes

Your art work for me is great, because it captures the mood of the " originals ".
Similar to the first issues of Superman #1 or Wonder Woman , during the "Golden
Age of Comics" where the art work was uniquely art-deco style & not sleek or airbrushed
perfect. Please keep it up !
Thanks.

stephen210

thank Guys,
I used Tandy Leathers Cova Color for the art work. it blends pretty good and adhears to the leather great.
I take some rubbing alcohol to the are prior to transfering the art out line to the jacket to help take some of the oil away. a good quality jacket you shouldn't get any color on your rag. but be careful as some jackets will let go of the dye. Just FYI.
Yep.. painting on an $800 jacket is scary to say the least.

A

Anonymous

Beautiful work, much better than some of the art brushed stuff out there. Yours looks like the real deal.

a2jacketpatches

The Cova colors are very good quality paint for sure, are you blending the paint alone or using some type of extender? Createx makes a paint called Auto Air, It covers quickly, sticks to leather like glue, and makes a solid base for any other acrylic brand.