• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing knit and zipper on A-2s and G-1s UK?

Brettafett

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend someone here in the UK, who can do a decent job replacing cuffs, waistband and zipper to A-2 and G-1s? All bit supplied, just need the work done properly.

Byson did the work on my Cockpit and to be honest, I am not very impressed with the work done.
Lining was a very orange colour (they would show pics of send samples, so this was a gamble to begin with), stitching quite untidy. Waistband was installed, creased, cuffs were good. Took ages, almost 2 months.
Thank goodness it was not an original!

Anyone else you can recommend?
Thanks

Brettafett

Oooh I know, but I would not dare bother Andrew with a repro job.
If this was an original, or even a very top tier repro... I would go straight to Andrew.

Pilot

I am confident that a nice bottle of French Cognac included in the package will help a lot.
With the Brexit all these French goodies will become very valuable... :)
Andrew is a nice guy who appreciates good things. :)

geoff.adams.96

I can highly recommend a Latvian lady dressmaker in Lincoln (UK). I bought a Martin Lane goatskin G1 from 1968 - excellent jacket in great condition however the knits were moth-eaten, brittle and beyond repair or use.

I bought a replacement set of knits from Larry in the US, and Ina was recommended to me by a friend as someone who was really good working with leather. She asked me to provide the thread as well, "so there could be no mistake" .

She is a one man band, so I had to get in the queue, and it took a couple of months for the jacket to come back to me, but my goodness me, I cannot recommend highly enough the workmanship of her work. She used all the original holes only, creating no new holes in the jacket, making it look to me as if the jacket had left the factory with the knits she put on for me - an absolutely fantastic job.

Her business is local but I live in Lincoln so was able to pop into her shop. However I asked her if she would be prepared to do work by post if I were to recommend her to other enthusiasts on the internet - she said that she was.

The job cost me £120 in total, not cheap, but for me the accuracy and high quality of the workmanship is worth it. Post would be on top.

I have absolutely no connection with Ina or her business, except for being a grateful customer and recommend her on.personal experience only.

You can find her details on this link: https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0Sewing%20Studio,ru_q:Ina's%20Sewing%20Studio

Here are some images of her work on my G1...

Hope this helps...

8075dd26e0a4ce0e6a772c3a6b836e34.jpg
67512f85202dd0e093a13ca68ccc848b.jpg
dd1369d190da2c52fc794224db20a3d4.jpg
f91c333eeb0c396688a847c04c916ceb.jpg
06b35b52bfe0cf81a9e423832f8b022a.jpg
ab02725d35ea62535c0dbfafbf2a4d85.jpg
bdbfb2931fcafbfebdc9259a5f92cbf7.jpg
684b92a03011d57d070ef18ea75087a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

johnwayne

I realise this thread started a few months back since when Andrew ( Roughwear) has departed the forum for reasons I won't bother going into however, he did replace some cuffs for me on an ELC house A2 and did a great job, don't think he charged a lot from memory, if you're still looking might be worth a PM in case he views from time to time. Disappointed to read Bryson were a let down and hope/assume they've up'd their game as they advertise now in Flypast mag and are actually recommended by ELC! And Geoff, as neat as Ina's work looks, I beg to differ as it looks from your pics that she hasn't hit the original sew holes, they are quite visible still on the leather and more so on the lining but provided you're happy then that's all that matters, looks a tidy job.

MikeyB-17

Yeah it’s close but no cigar I’m afraid, it should be done using the original stitch holes. I would still go to Aero, they’re busy and it will take a long time, but I’ve used them more than once and always been happy. They’ve been doing it a long time.

geoff.adams.96

Ah yes, I can see what you mean, I CAN see some holes there. Apologies, not quite as neat as I first thought. To fair, for this jacket, this job is good enough for me but I can see it might not be good enough for some.

I've just bought a superb A2 38-1711 from Aero and could not be more happy with their workmanship. Maybe I will send my next job to them. Do you know how much they would charge for a cuffs and waistband replacement??

Last edited:

Brettafett

Donna Howard of Horizon Designs UK does excellent work on flight jackets. She has years of experience and used to work with Cirrus.
Pricing is fair and reasonable. If you are pedantic to have specific zippers and knits, I would source them yourself, and send to her.

geoff.adams.96

Donna Howard of Horizon Designs UK does excellent work on flight jackets. She has years of experience and used to work with Cirrus.
Pricing is fair and reasonable. If you are pedantic to have specific zippers and knits, I would source them yourself, and send to her.
I've found her on Facebook - she's in Norfolk. When I enquired with Eastman about my knits replacement job I'm pretty sure they recommend her as well, but I decided to go local.

stanier

It's a shame about Geoff's G-1 above. I suspect that it's something to do with the machine used as well a the right experience. You might start out in the exact hole but unless you have a machine with the exact spacing between the stitch holes then its going to go off course quite quickly. You can see in the pics I think that the holes originally are slightly wider spaced than the new stitch holes. I suppose you're paying for the right experience with military leather jackets and the right equipment. On the few jackets I've seen where the knits have been replaced on a good job you just cant really tell, if at all.

geoff.adams.96

It's a shame about Geoff's G-1 above. I suspect that it's something to do with the machine used as well a the right experience. You might start out in the exact hole but unless you have a machine with the exact spacing between the stitch holes then its going to go off course quite quickly. You can see in the pics I think that the holes originally are slightly wider spaced than the new stitch holes. I suppose you're paying for the right experience with military leather jackets and the right equipment. On the few jackets I've seen where the knits have been replaced on a good job you just cant really tell, if at all.
Well, I'm only really a raw beginner in this game, so I will learn from this experience and do better next time, however there is nothing to notice when I'm wearing the jacket so I'm ok with it. In the end the knits are necessary replacements and not original and I knew that had to be the outcome when I bought the jacket so I'm not going to get OCD about it, however next time I'll either give Aero (I didn't know they did replacements when I had the G1 done) or the lady in Norfolk a try.