• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace jacket cuffs, collar & waistband

jskish

I have my dad’s Air Force nylon jacket from the ‘50s that is in need of replacing the knit cuffs, collar and waistband. I have ordered those pieces and started to rip the top stitching and seams out. I can see it will be a lot of work and did see the great tutorial on replacing the cuffs only. It calls for ripping the seam from the sleeve lining and turning it inside out which I understand. However, since I am replacing all three areas, I am thinking I may can turn the entire jacket inside out at the waist and not have to rip out the sleeve lining. So the question is, are there any other tutorials that could help me for replacing all these areas at once?

jskish

It's just a term when using a seam ripper. I have been sewing since I was 12 making custom window treatments and clothing but am hoping to get a little extra help here.

917_k

Can’t help I’m afraid, but would love to see some photos of the jacket, you can’t beat 50s USAF nylon jackets.

jskish

Can’t help I’m afraid, but would love to see some photos of the jacket, you can’t beat 50s USAF nylon jackets.

Here ya go!
IMG_9065.JPGIMG_9066.JPGIMG_9067.JPGIMG_9068.JPG

917_k

That’s absolutely superb! Quite a rare jacket that and worth a fair bit. Aside from the cuffs it’s in really nice condition.

917_k

I love it! The collar looks pretty rough though with the moth holes.

Now that I’m home and not trying to look at this on my phone in the pouring rain I have to say that I’d leave the cuffs and just replace the collar. They don’t look too bad to me, nor does the waist. Unless you’ve got NOS replacements, I can’t see any other knits matching the colour as nicely as that.

The L-2A is a jacket that has so far escaped me, but I’d love to add one to the collection, hope I can find something as nice as this. Thanks for sharing the pics.

bazzer

Hi welcome I agree the collar needs replacement but the cuffs aren't that bad
Baz

MikeyB-17

Personally I would try and save the collar as well. Blue L-2A’s are rare and the original knits ought to be preserved if at all possible. The cuffs could definitely be darned, and I don’t think the collar is beyond saving.

917_k

Yep, the cuffs can definitely be darned. I’ve got jackets with some seriously beaten up knits, but love trying to preserve as much of the original thing as possible. Given how rare L-2As are, It would be a shame to wreck it with some modern knits.

Dany McDonald

I would not touch the knits on this jacket. Keep it original as much you can. Even the collar can be fix with the proper attention!

And, superb L2-A with history!!!

My two cents...

Dany

Last edited:

MaydayWei

What a thing of beauty.
And in great condition for an original.
Personally, I agree with what is said above; but if it is really bothering you maybe a replacement but original set of knits might be the way to go.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Ufff that is a nice example @jskish!! I know this is not what you asked for originally on your post, but in this case I definitely wouldn’t touch the knits. This model is rare nowadays and in that condition the holes don’t make much difference. Just remember that these knits have been with the jacket for almost 70 years and your father wore it with them. There is a sentimental value in this case, and by replacing them, this would vanish a bit. Not sure if your plan is to wear it (being a size 34?), but honestly even if you do, the knits are in great condition considering their age. I have an L-2 in basically the same condition and size as yours and trust me, finding them like this is quite difficult. Of course, mine being a size 34 doesn’t fit me at all. I’m size 42, but with these rare models you cannot afford being picky about sizes.

On the other hand, I guess the best place to find all the info you need is youtube. Having sewing skills is definitely a plus with this hobby. Wish you all the best with your project.
8B915F08-7999-44F7-B014-7278B5DEA406.jpeg