• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Renaissance Wax

taikonaut

I have this wax for treating furniture but what is your opinion as it use for leather jacket old and new, for storage or wear? Also would you apply it over a jacket artwork/decal to protect it?

B-Man2

I have this wax for treating furniture but what is your opinion as it use for leather jacket old and new, for storage or wear? Also would you apply it over a jacket artwork/decal to protect it?
Hi
I’m very familiar with Renaissance Wax. I’ve used it on several metal things that I want to keep from oxidizing ... but nothing leather . The wax was made to protect by sealing around the object you place it on. Over time this will cause the leather to dry out and crack. My feeling is that leather has to breath . There are several waxes that are made specifically for leather but I wouldn’t use any of them on my original jackets on a consistent basis. That’s my suggestion.

taikonaut

When leather jackets are finishe and dyed would'nt there be sealing occur already? I think most breathing can accur through the jacket liner from inside the jacket. If it causes the jacket to crack through drying out I would worry my furniture would suffer the same fate.
I do have concern Ren Wax might make it difficult for conditioner to penetrate.

Steve27752

When leather jackets are finishe and dyed would'nt there be sealing occur already? I think most breathing can accur through the jacket liner from inside the jacket. If it causes the jacket to crack through drying out I would worry my furniture would suffer the same fate.
Furniture is solid and does not usually flex.

Micawber

Agree with the gentleman above. Basically not flexible enough and I fear may be detrimental in the long term to the leather and artwork. The whole point of preservation is to use materials that are removable without detriment to what you are attempting to preserve should the need arise in the future.

jeremiah

Leather is generally sealed with a top coat of acrylic resolene or shellac. This is a byproduct from beetles. It does wear off. It holds the color in longer, makes it water resistant and gives it a nice sheen. But it will wear off with use.

Wax like you know will work more as a water repellant. It will get in the pours and defeat the purpose of leather breathing. Can be tough to get off and if applied wrong could cause some cracking (of the surface wax)as it ages and begins to dry out.

I sometimes will apply a neutral shoe wax to belts I make but it’s a very very conservative amount. I also buff out most of it too. Anyway, at the end of the day you would be surprised at how much abuse via conditioners and wear and tear leather can handle and still stay strong.
Vintage leather is an entirely different thing though.

taikonaut

I don't know who mentioned it (probably Rough Wear?) that re-issued A2 that gone through a re-dying process tend to preserve the leather better because it seals it from element that are harmful. While leather do breath I also believe what is not absorbed can also protect the leather. As for breathing I believe most of it happens inside the jacket through the liner than it does through the outer shell. Jackets that have lost it top coat or shellac I find tend to be vulnerable to mould and rot. I think Ren wax do protect leather unless someone had used it and confirm it is bad.

Steve27752

I don't know who mentioned it (probably Rough Wear?) that re-issued A2 that gone through a re-dying process tend to preserve the leather better because it seals it from element that are harmful. While leather do breath I also believe what is not absorbed can also protect the leather. As for breathing I believe most of it happens inside the jacket through the liner than it does through the outer shell. Jackets that have lost it top coat or shellac I find tend to be vulnerable to mould and rot. I think Ren wax do protect leather unless someone had used it and confirm it is bad.
You asked for opinions which you now have (don't do it)...............It's your jacket to do with as you wish.

B-Man2

You asked for opinions which you now have (don't do it)...............It's your jacket to do with as you wish.

Well ..... the opinion poll currently scores out at:
Don’t use it!...............5
It’s OK to use!............you.
Ok then!....... good luck with it!
Cheers ;)

Update :..........
SCORE.......
Don’t use it!.................6
Ok to use!......................:(
sorry..,

Last edited:

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
If you want to use wax on leather to preserve the surface without making any harm to it - at least it should be blend of some natural beeswax with some natural vegetable oils. It still might cause some unpleasant thin white layer on leather which is quite hard to get rid of.
IMHO, Pecard is much more easy to use for this purpose.

taikonaut

Still not heard from anyone with empirical evidence about Ren Wax on leather. Until someone actually used it on their jacket and say, "I've used it and its bad" or "I've used it and swear by it" its still just theories.
I know acid, sweat, etc, that get absorbed into jacket cause problems, a protective layer against that solve quite a lot of problems.

taikonaut

It does, when some of it is as old and knackered as mine! In fact, I'm sometimes hard put to know whether to treat it with Antiquax or Pecards. ;)

Wood breath, expand and contract like a MF;)

Humour aside Ren Wax is recommended for leather, its said so on the tin. Pecard is not for furniture.
BTW I stopped using Antiquax for my furniture, does more harm than good.

I have some experience with furnitures and almost all furnitures that were harmed because of owners loving their furniture too much. The wax used was the biggest culprit and building up of old wax rot the wood. Of course there are differences with leather.
Ren Wax at least gets rid of old waxes and gunk.

Last edited:

taikonaut

Well ..... the opinion poll currently scores out at:
Don’t use it!...............5
It’s OK to use!............you.
Ok then!....... good luck with it!
Cheers ;)

Update :..........
SCORE.......
Don’t use it!.................6
Ok to use!......................:(
sorry..,

Were did I say "its OK to use"?

I did offer a theory of why there are potential benefit. The so call "don't use it" folks had not actually use the stuff on their jacket to say why.
Its like saying "this movie is crap but I never seen it". Number game don't mean anything here unless somebody has used it on their leather jacket and reported its findings.

B-Man2

I have it for metal items. You can put it on the metal snaps but not leather.
Were did I say "its OK to use"?

I did offer a theory of why there are potential benefit. The so call "don't use it" folks had not actually use the stuff on their jacket to say why.
Its like saying "this movie is crap but I never seen it". Number game don't mean anything here unless somebody has used it on their leather jacket and reported its findings.
No need to feel offended as I was honestly not trying to do that.
However , when you ask for opinions, you can pretty much be assured you’re going to get some.
Everyone who answered your request for an opinion, including myself, advised against using the product on leather. Our opinions are no better or worse than your own, so it’s your jacket do what you think is correct and let us know how it all plays out. Good luck with it.
Cheers

Last edited:

taikonaut

Good. So this number game should not have really came up as proof if the stuff is good or bad based on theories.
I ask for opinions hoping too get someone who actually used it on their leather jacket.
I have a modern jacket that is badly stained on the collar that I know conditioner, wax, cleaner won't help much. I will treat that with Ren Wax and see if it does a better job and see if there are any adverse effect in years to come.

Members online

Latest posts