• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Pecards or similar product

Carl

Has anyone got any tips on how to remove pecards from leather ??
I have a C type helmet that has been overly abused with the stuff (?) Its left it sticky and dull .

Any ideas ??

Carl

Silver Surfer

rubbing alcohol or ordorless paint thinner should work, or anything that will cut through the goop. stay away from more caustic liquids, ie: acetone, paint remover, 100 proof toquilla, etc.

jeremiah

Yeah here in the state we can get 50%-98% diluted isopropyl alcohol. I like using the 50% for things like this and stronger if my aim is removing the color.

Skyhawk

Yes a propane torch, lint free cloth and an ice cube.

Just kidding!

Warm water and a soft cloth with Lexol leather soap, immediately follow with a wet clean cloth and a dry cloth to finish. The idea being to clean the surface, not soak the jacket through, so work a small area at a time. Avoid metal parts with the soap. It can cause corrosion.

dujardin

personnaly, if i had to do that; i think i will avoid all alcohol, thinner, aso ..... too aggressive product

leather soap, lot's of clean cloth (soft) and lot's of patience

Chevalier

I second the recommendation that, if you do use alcohol, do not use a lot of force to remove the Pecards from your jacket. I was trying to get some paint spots off the back of a modern seal brown goatskin A-2 and tried using isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab. The alcohol was not working on the paint spots, so I tried to rub them off with more force. The alcohol removed some of the dye in the area (and did not remove the paint spots, argh!) It left some light spots in the leather of the jacket. They are easily covered up, though. Ironically, I’ve been doing the coverup with Pecards. I’ll probably eventually try to re-dye the spots to match. I’m trying to be patient and learn more about it before attempting, though. I don’t want to compound my original dumb mistake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robrinay

Always start with the most gentle method. I’d use saddle soap and a damp soft sponge - following the instructions on the tin. If more of the goop rises to the surface after it’s dried then repeat the process. Be wary of any solvents stronger than water as they may dissolve and remove dye.