• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Glue Residue on Goatskin

I got a slightly older goat A2 (wouldn’t call it vintage). It has two insignia patches that were glued, not stitched and half coming off already. Certainly an aftermarket patch job. I’d like to remove them. Any tips for removing the glue residue underneath?

Dany McDonald

Hello,

Can you share an image of the residue?

The type of glue will have its own "solvent", which can in return damage the goatskin. So testing on a very small area with a very small amount of "solvent" and see if it dilutes ONLY the glue.
Ideally gently scratch some glue off the surface and test which solvent works best and then try inside a pocket to see how the surface of the leather reacts.

The "solvent" can range from Alcohol to hot water with a glycerin soap...! Avoid acetone at all cost!

Keep us posted!

My two cents,

Dany

CombatWombat

I got a slightly older goat A2 (wouldn’t call it vintage). It has two insignia patches that were glued, not stitched and half coming off already. Certainly an aftermarket patch job. I’d like to remove them. Any tips for removing the glue residue underneath?
If you're talking about the 80's Cooper orange label type of A2 I'd say a bit of odourless nail polish remover should work without doing too much damage due to the thick topcoat that was used back then......
If that's a bit too harsh for you then I'd suggest dish detergent and a medium stiffness toothbrush and a bit of time

If you're talking about the 80's Cooper orange label type of A2 I'd say a bit of odourless nail polish remover should work without doing too much damage due to the thick topcoat that was used back then......
If that's a bit too harsh for you then I'd suggest dish detergent and a medium stiffness toothbrush and a bit of time
It’s a Cooper, but don’t know the age. Got it for $40 so I thought I’d gamble.

5FAA725E-0568-410E-933C-E8D56FDB8D52.jpeg

6336FC60-F354-490B-9EDE-2B0AA44E6904.jpeg

BBA39F84-E168-4540-B208-0FCF0A519338.jpeg

Attachments

• 33EEF20F-3E25-4E57-AE4F-C32ADAEDB52E.jpeg
    33EEF20F-3E25-4E57-AE4F-C32ADAEDB52E.jpeg
    1,007 KB · Views: 74

coolhandluke

Goo Gone is a relatively mild adhesive remover and should hopefully not cause any finish damage. I'd start with some on a q-tip on just the exposed portion as a test. I'd also recommend thorougly cleaning with a water and Dawn soap mixture to remove any residue that has been left behind.

download.jpeg-11.jpg

Saint-ex

You should try oil.

I use to remove glue on almost everything with oil for cooking. Sunflower, rapeseed or even olive oil.

Put some oil on a clean fabric or even paper towel (paper towel works fine but is less resistant if the substrat is abrasive) and gently rub in a circular motion.

Glue shouldn't resist so long. After you have just to degrease with soap.

It's prefect way to remove label glue on plastic part etc..