• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing a decal

Pope

Hey Gents

It has been awhile since I have posted anything, but I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I have a Real McCoys Monarch I bought from one of the forum members. It has the AAAF decal on the shoulder. Question is how can you safely remove the decal without messing the leather up too badly?

Mike

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I have one on a Dubow ...

It's not something I would have put there, but I left it, and now I no longer notice ... it becomes part of the jacket.

If it really had to go, I think my first attempt would involve gently warmimg with a hair dryer, and scraping.

tater

I know exactly nothing about this stuff, but I swear when I was researching and reading threads (hundreds of 'em) that someone wrote they had an A-2 with a decal, and the decal became a "casualty" of a hot water treatment of the jacket. It's someone who posts here and FL, don't remember the handle.

Pope

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try hair blower and hot water, although the closer I look I think RMC screen printed it on.

We'll see thanks again.

Mike

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Pope said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try hair blower and hot water, although the closer I look I think RMC screen printed it on.

It's a decal ... RM supply it on request.

Grant

RMNZ decals are a heat transfer type decal. I have one on my Good Wear 27752. They chip away and flake off very much originals.

Grant

Here's the one on my Good Wear. Eventually most of it should chip away as the jacket gets beat up.

AAC.jpg

Pope

Grant ..that is almost exactly how the decal on my jacket looks. I sent an email to Paddy at RMNZ and her reply was don't fool with it ...you could damage the leather jacking with it. I bought this jacket from Siddhartha several years ago and it is for sure one of a kind. I think he hand picked the horsehide. This is one jacket I would like to wear a tie to see a customer but with the decal ...just a little ...too much. Oh well ...Levi's and boots, my comfort clothes anyway.

Mike

Pope

Chris made me promise to offer it back to him if I ever decided to sell it. Still a cool jacket.

RCSignals

If it's an original type water transfer decal I'd think it would wear off.
I've seen one reproduction though that was almost rubbery and that may the heat transfer type (?). not sure. That type seems very permanent.