• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removal of decal

Dr H

Hello All

Advice needed please.

I'm not a big fan of decals on jackets. I may soon need to remove/severely age a winged star decal on the arm of a horsehide jacket.

My first response would be water/wrinkling and a battery of organic solvents.

Has anybody done this successfully using a different method without damaging the leather underneath?

Thanks

Ian

omarco

The only slightly useful advice i could offer is that nail polish remover will dissolve these things and so the decal could possibly be removed/aged in that way. However I'm not sure it would react very well with the leather... i should think it would also start stripping colour from the hide too...

i'd be interested to see your results though..

Dr H

Thanks - that'll be acetone or ethyl acetate.
Some heavy wrinkling in order to crack and chip it and some time under a UV lamp (with the leather masked) to fade it.

jnlight75

On a similar note, anybody ever successfully remove the shoulder decal from a repro B-10? On the fabric base, it at least looks to be much harder if not impossible to get off.

a2jacketpatches

Solvaset is a decal softener meant to set a decal into a surface, conform with model kit panel lines and detail. Possible it would soften enough to remove as well. Ant hobby shop should have it or it's equivalent.

regius

I used physics, scotch tape, but be very careful. I was playing with Japanaese horsehide that doesn't have much of a coating to rip off. but i don't think it's gonna work on aniline finished.

CBI

just wrinkle/crack it off, works every time. No solvents, you want it as dry as possible!

John Lever

Dr H said:
Hello All

Advice needed please.

I'm not a big fan of decals on jackets. I may soon need to remove/severely age a winged star decal on the arm of a horsehide jacket.

My first response would be water/wrinkling and a battery of organic solvents.

Has anybody done this successfully using a different method without damaging the leather underneath?

Thanks

Ian
I would call Ken at Aero he must know the best way to do it.

Dr H

Thanks all for the advice, I opted to leave it for the next owner and sold it on a few months ago.