• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remedy for Stretched Out Knits?

A

Anonymous

TRY DIPPING THEM IN HOT WATER, AND DRYING ON HIGH HEAT WITH A BLOW DRYER. THIS HELPED TIGHTEN A SET ON ONE OF MY OLDER JACKETS.

zoomer

My experience is limited to Eastmans, which use authentically non-elastic wool knits which are also loose-knit. I don't have a blow-dryer, so had to let them air-dry. It did virtually nothing to shrink them and they returned to their former size in minutes after putting the jacket on.

I tried sewing in elastic thread to the waistband. It mostly just caused pucker and didn't tighten the fit much for all the work involved.

I'm thinking of hiding an elastic band inside the waistband, anchored only on the ends, nearest the zip panels. I've tested it so far with safety pins and a 2" wide band. It causes little to no pucker.

majormajor1

zoomer said:
My experience is limited to Eastmans, which use authentically non-elastic wool knits which are also loose-knit. I don't have a blow-dryer, so had to let them air-dry. It did virtually nothing to shrink them and they returned to their former size in minutes after putting the jacket on.

I gotta say - the ONLY thing I have against Eastmans is the looseness of their knits - they go loose in no time (they weren't always that way - their original jackets in the 80's had brilliantly tight knits).

Any concensus on this? :?:

zoomer

Probably saw some WW2 pix of guys with really beat knits and said, "This is how it's got to be from now on."

dadgad

I have the same problem with the knits of a BR Black MA-1 purchased at Hinoya, Tokyo in 2006.
The jacket is widely used but looks as new, really, but the knits are completely loose.

zoomer

Funny tho...my ELC Pearl Harbor house A-2 has nice tightly-woven knits that assume the size of my wrists/waist. Why wouldn't they offer that option on all jackets?