• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refresh a Eastman RW B-3

nanoshores

Hi, I read mention of an acrylic finish. What product is recommended ? I am planning on restoring an old b3 that has lost its shine and is in looking rather suede like. I’m wondering after I have taken care of cleaning and then re-moisturising the leather, will an acrylic finish bring the shine back to the b3? Many thanks in advance.

Dumpster D

Hi, I read mention of an acrylic finish. What product is recommended ? I am planning on restoring an old b3 that has lost its shine and is in looking rather suede like. I’m wondering after I have taken care of cleaning and then re-moisturising the leather, will an acrylic finish bring the shine back to the b3? Many thanks in advance.

I wouldn't want to tell you:

Don't do it!!! :eek:

Please. Would you kindly post up some photos for us to check it out, is it original or a repro Jacket?

Rule of thumb with vintage jackets, don't do anything to them unless *absolutely* necessary.

Southoftheborder

i agree that it depends whether it's a repro or not.

I bought a well used RMNZ D-1 a few years ago that had lost a lot of its finish leaving just bare off white sheepskin. I thought about trying to refinish it with cellulose lacquer but it would be messy and non reversible. So I did what I usually do if I want to bring a leather jacket back to life and used renovation shoe polish mixed with something to take it into the hide. In this case dark brown polish and vaseline heated to mix it in fully and for it be taken into the hide easily.

It worked pretty well and polished to a nice satin sheen. See picture.

PC090006.JPG

Chandler

i agree that it depends whether it's a repro or not.

I bought a well used RMNZ D-1 a few years ago that had lost a lot of its finish leaving just bare off white sheepskin. I thought about trying to refinish it with cellulose lacquer but it would be messy and non reversible. So I did what I usually do if I want to bring a leather jacket back to life and used renovation shoe polish mixed with something to take it into the hide. In this case dark brown polish and vaseline heated to mix it in fully and for it be taken into the hide easily.

It worked pretty well and polished to a nice satin sheen. See picture.

View attachment 136383
Any before images?

Enigma1938

Dug out my copy this morning…

View attachment 136495View attachment 136497

Just a warning that Acetone is volatile and can be dangerous to health through inhalation and physical contact.
I usually take Nail Polish Remover to get rid of dirt and old finish. It contains acetone but also some nourishing ingredients and don't smell that bad. Works superb and all the jackets I threatened in the past are still strong and healthy.