• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refresh a Eastman RW B-3

Southoftheborder

Any before images?
Sorry no. The surface coating was just worn away at the usual points - under the pockets, shoulders and sleeves backs etc. Many people would see it as 'patina' and like it.... It was well worn down all over and feathered though so I didn't have to remove any loose stuff. Just clean with saddle soap and match the colour with some black and brown mix.

Enigma1938

Well, I dunno what it contains exaclty but everything that's good for nails and skin cannot be wrong for leather.
Cosmetics are extensively tested before they are released for retailers. I'm not a chemist but I'm not worried about that.

Dany McDonald

Thank you for sharing this piece of information Steve. I found it very interesting in understanding why and how some jackets seemed to have degraded over the years more than others. The process of refurbishing jackets and the implication of solvents like acetone, known to deteriorate some leather, over a long period of time, is quite revealing in todays context.

I understand that the ''maintenance'' was meant to deal with unserviceable jackets ASAP, therefore long term usage and ''collecting'' ;), didn't really matter in wartime context.

D

Micawber

Well, I dunno what it contains exaclty but everything that's good for nails and skin cannot be wrong for leather.
Cosmetics are extensively tested before they are released for retailers. I'm not a chemist but I'm not worried about that.

I had Google regarding contents of nail varnish remover so have come away a little more knowledgeable about what my daughter uses to get varnish off her nails, thanks for that. I don't allow her to get anywhere near my 5 litre tins of Acetone :)