• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Redwing Gentleman Traveller Boots

There's been some interest in these boots here and on other forums so I'll post my experience with the pair I just received in the mail. Most others have had positive experience but not so much with me.

From the advice of others, I ordered 1/2 size smaller - 9-1/2 instead of 10. This was good advice as the fit was good. I'd call that a quality problem and there are several others for a boot of this expense. The first thing I noticed was that the left boot was sewn together in a lopsided fashion, with the right section of the leather attached too far forward. One way you notice it is how the lace is crooked between the lowest set of holes in the left boot from the top view.
IMGP4411copy.jpg

To nitpick, the right sole extends further out the front of the boot, as well, and you see stitching there while you don't on the left boot.

The panel sewn on the back of the left boot is placed crooked too, and this view further illustrates the lopsidedness. This is noticeable when you wear it.
IMGP4413copy.jpg

The leather outsole has been poorly sewn to the boot and poorly finished. Here you can see poor trimming on the side.
IMGP4417copy.jpg

The top of the stitching is rough here also, but isn't very noticeable in the photo.

The needles punched pretty rough holes through the leather, and you see the poor trimming better here.
IMGP4418.jpg

The thread stitched into the sole is supposed to be recessed into grooves cut into it, but since the grooves were poorly cut some of the thread is actually at the surface. It won't take much walking to wear these threads through.
IMGP4421.jpg

The worst part of these boots for me is how uncomfortable they are. This photo shows how the side of the boot is stitched to the vamp on the inside. The vamp leather is thick (on the other unseen side of the boot, as well) and really digs into my feet. The thread used is really hard and thick too, and protrudes further above the leather to really dig into the foot. This is not going to "break in". If you wear the boots much, the only thing that will break in is your feet, after first blistering and then developing calluses.
IMGP4426copy.jpg

IMGP4423.jpg

You can see that there's no lining in this boot either. A lining of any kind would help. Also note the partial insole at the heel. A boot of this expense should have a full insole. The partial one here is glued and will probably come loose and slide around or become detached at some point. There is very little if any cushioning in the sole; maybe a thin cork layer, so they jar your frame with each step.

Another problem I have is that my feet will pronate (turn in) somewhat in these boots. An arch support would help.

The laces appear to be cotton impregnated with wax which is nice as they probably won't come untied while wearing, and the upper leather is of good quality. These boots look nice and the leather soles would normally be a desirable thing if they were finished nicer, but all in all these are a mediocre pair of work boots and certainly not deserving of the $240 price.

I have some smooth tan leather Redwing work boots I bought around 1979 that are built better than these, and they're just basic steel toed work boots. The soles are oil resistant rubber though, instead of leather. But the build quality and finish was much finer and they came with an arch support that covered the protruding vamp and stitching at the arch. Even considering inflation I know they cost much less. I still wear them for working around the yard and garage. I was looking forward to these new ones so it's a big letdown. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for another quality pair and keep wearing these in the meantime.

There are a couple of shoe stores in Brooklyn that carried these boots so I got a chance to handle these and try them on. I was underwhelmed with the shoddy quality of the material and construction. Your review does not surprise me. I think the additional $200 for a pair of White's semi-dress is worthwhile.

cheaterome

Why do we have to pay extra????

Almost every pair of vintage work shoes or shoes I own are the same or better as any Japanese boutique mfr. This quality of detail and construction that vintage junkies covet, it used to be standard operating procedure. Chippewa, Old redwings, Buco, old sears work shoes, block built shoes???

What happened.

This type of quality workmanship is now exuded by only the japanese high end boutique shoes???? Granted they have some nice styles and some cool goodyear welts , but dude $500 dollars for shoes????

Good quality workmanship used to be golden standard in the American garment industry. I for one am sick of the dumbing down of this industry and the belief that only with the throwing of ridiculous sums of money around can you get a high quality (or percieved ) item.

I live by some redwing stores, one distributor too. "redwing"......ohhhh!!! fucking overhyped pieces of crap shoes and for the $200+++ dollar price tag they better come with a massage and a happy ending.

Dudes

Go to farm and fleet and get some work and sports... $80 tops .This or their rebel shoe.

They are killer comfy and far better than those Redwing shoes.

Made in Wisconsin, Never had a problem with any of my 5 pairs. Made in the USA

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/pro ... =010403001

Pay no attention to the lighter color they are the same shade of russet as a dubow... fits exactly as sized and have green or O.D. stitching like and Aero a-2 , and the best part is they are $80 bucks $59.95 on sale.
Just my opinion. ...a P.O.'ed one at that.

Jerome

Or just buy deadstock 30-70 year old work boots. There are literally tons of them out there. I probably have a eigth ton in my tiny apartment alone.

I have a pair of the Weinbrenner roofers. Absolute crap. Cheaply made. Soft toes. Soles that wear like pencil erasers on the sidewalk. Pisses me off. Complete waste of$100. Cheap Malaysian sneaker like weight and construction, not like a work boot.
I also have an a pair of 1950's Weinbrenner roofer monkey boots (I think they called that model "the Bruiser" back then). They are great, well made, solid, steel toed, hard to kill.
Oh well, nothing last forever.

siddhartha

Administrator
Looks like you got a bad pair-I have the same boot in their Black Cherry color, and I cannot say enough good things about them. They are the nicest pair of boots I've owned.

I would send them back if you can.

Mine had that area inside, right by the ankle, that felt like it wouldn't break in-it did, and they are now among the most comfortable shoes I own. They are a b*tch to break in, but it's well worth it

Chris

sgbailey2002

I really like my White's, unfortunately they don't fit anymore and I have to sell them. I'll probably replace them, although not living on the ranch anymore I don't have a need for work boots, seems silly to wear them in town. They are the best work boots for hard ranch work, especially branding time when you do a lot of ground work.

SGB

To Sherman Bros. credit they are covering shipping both ways, plus they offered the only discount I could find on the web - $216 including shipping. I read all the reviews on Zappos and elsewhere and I'm not getting it. One fellow even called them warm? If you call a single layer of uninsulated, unlined, uncushioned leather warm, then OK.

I'm not looking for work boots; these were supposed to be a classier alternative for general use or riding. They do look nice, anyway.

Happy Hooligan

great review!

I think all redwings have that overlap of leather that bites into your foot. I know my eric claptons had that same thing and it drove me madd..

I bought my 405's through sherman bros. and they just had them shipped direct from Alden.

Personally I'd much rather have a pair of deadstock vintage boots that fit than new boots, but that's just me (among others too)

I do still like the look for the most part of the GT's but I think I'm going to go for the semi dress next, unless I can find some vintage boots in my size....

A

Anonymous

Hi All !!
I just wanted to say that I agree with Siddhartha. I too have a pair of the oxblood boots and whilst I was happy with the colour of them and the overall workmanship, I was dreading breaking them in. They felt very stiff and internally, a little 'primative'. So I let the boots sit in hot water for 10 mins and then put them on with a thick pair of socks and went for a walk for a couple of hours. It left me with a few hot spots but did the worst of the breaking in. I also (after the boots were fully dried) kept them in our airing cupboard. Being gently warm it kept the oilwaxed leather nice and soft and easier to put on. I also didn't like the oiled laces. They left 'goop' on my fingers every time I did them up. So I washed them once in warm water with a bit of detergent and that took enough of the goop off that when I put them on, I don't need to wash my hands after. IMHO they are a good likeness to a pair of turn-of-the-century boots. We are just a generation of pussies compared to our great grandfathers and too used to wearing trainers/sneakers. You need to make your feet adapt to the boots - not the other way 'round. If you want 'authenticity', don't baulk when you get it !! Be careful what you wish for ;)
As to the cost ???? C'mon , how much do we willingly pay over the odds for to get an 'authentically' made flight jacket ? After all, the A-2 is a very simple 2 patch pocket leather jacket in it's most basic form. Look how cheaply you can get one very similar in design. $50-$100. Yet some folk will happily pay $800+ for one. You pay for authenticity- for it's bad as well as it's good points.
I'll try to get some pics on photobucket to show you - if I can get it to work :?

J_H

GregNYC

Thanks for the review newenglandcliff. About the full insole, even Indy boots don't have those, and their little heel-covering comes off even easier than the GT's. On Indies I usually take them out, keep the foam padding and put it under a full-sole insole of premium leather from Crockett & Jones.

As for that huge seam on the medial inside of the GT's - I got a blister from that, and I had to take the boots to get width-stretched on a wetlast for 1 week. And though I do agree with Jacket_Head that we are soft compared to our grandparents when it comes to shoes, I do think RW should make these in E width. But I understand they are not fully supporting these not-sold-in-the-U.S. models.

Aren't the waxed laces great! I wonder where we could get replacements.... None of the repro outfitters' waxed laces I've found are as nice.

Also, I have never seen in person a work boot from Real McCoy or Lone Wolf, so can't speak for the quality. How is the quality??

airfrogusmc

GregNYC said:
Thanks for the review newenglandcliff. About the full insole, even Indy boots don't have those, and their little heel-covering comes off even easier than the GT's. On Indies I usually take them out, keep the foam padding and put it under a full-sole insole of premium leather from Crockett & Jones.

As for that huge seam on the medial inside of the GT's - I got a blister from that, and I had to take the boots to get width-stretched on a wetlast for 1 week. And though I do agree with Jacket_Head that we are soft compared to our grandparents when it comes to shoes, I do think RW should make these in E width. But I understand they are not fully supporting these not-sold-in-the-U.S. models.

Aren't the waxed laces great! I wonder where we could get replacements.... None of the repro outfitters' waxed laces I've found are as nice.

Also, I have never seen in person a work boot from Real McCoy or Lone Wolf, so can't speak for the quality. How is the quality??

Hey Greg did you ever talk to our old bud in Idaho?

A

Anonymous

Not being a vintage shoe/boots afficianado means I don't honestly know myself but does anyone else know if boots and shoes have always come in varying widths or when this concept was introduced ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
GregNYC said:

The workmanship in the Lone Wolfs is faultless, with full leather insoles, and they are supremely comfortable. :D

GregNYC

deeb7 said:
GregNYC said:

The workmanship in the Lone Wolfs is faultless, with full leather insoles, and they are supremely comfortable. :D

Great to hear!! I'm an E or EE and I understand from another duck-footed friend that Lone Wolfs are on the wide side. I had an order in for LW Carpenters, but I hear most vendors are out of stock till April. Has that changed??

airfrogusmc

GregNYC said:
No, never did. You may know him better than I - why not act as my proxy!

Paul got his stuff back months ago but he had to call a bunch of times. I haven't talked to him in a couple years. I let him know last time we talked that I wasn't happy with the way he had not responded to folks I sent his way. Maybe I'll try and give him a holler. I'll let you know.

airfrogusmc

Tried to call his old # and its been disconnected but I googled him and looks like he moved to Washington State. Heres the # for there (425) 391-7774 I would definately call and get your stuff back.