• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Wing Gentlemen's Traveller Boots

Doug C

Hey chicken, I just ordered a pair of these on Saturday (day before yesterday) I can't wait to get 'em. If anyone else is considering them, skip zappos - save yourself $20 and get 'em at bakershoe.com ... $219.95 delivered.

Doug C

chicken

Doh.

Oh well, I'm still really enjoying these boots. And good info to know for the future. Thanks, doug. ;)

Happy Hooligan

I actually tried on a pair last week. All they had was an 11 D and it felt a little loose in the heel. I'm an 11C in Aldens. They didn't have a 10.5 D to see if that'd do the trick or not...

I was really going to try on a pair or iron rangers but they didn't carry them.

Nice boots chicken. I'll have to wait to get a pair as I'm breaking in my ultimate indys and a man can only wear so many boots in a week....

Doug C

Happy Hooligan wrote:
and a man can only wear so many boots in a week....

Ain't it the truth.. and this stuff (boots, leather jackets, denim,etc..) require so much wear time to make it start looking right that you don't need much - yet I can't stop wanting more :? it'll never all get used to it's fullest :roll:

btw, where'd you get to try on those GTs? I've been to two Red Wing stores locally and each one looked at me like I was speaking Martian when I asked about the Gentleman Travelers, Beckmans, Heritage range of boots. I actually had to help them go through their catalogs to locate them.

Doug C

Doug C

Those are THE ones!! :eek: :) , they don't carry it in a size 10 (wtf?) :| , they don't ship to the states :x ...:twisted:

Doug C

chicken

Yeah, Happy Hooligan says the truth. I don't think I need another pair of boots for a long while. (I already have four pairs of White's and one pair of Alden 405s.)

Doug, I tried few pairs of GTs in Tokyo. I have no idea where you could try them in the states, though. IMO, width-wise, they feel like a pretty normal D. But even for boots, I think these are slightly on the longer side length-wise.

Cobblers, that pricing is amazing. Especially considering it's in the UK.

Doug C

chicken:
(I already have four pairs of White's and one pair of Alden 405s.)
Dude, that's a small fortune right there!

Well, I won't need to find a place to try GTs on now that I have a pair in the mail to me, I'll know how they fit soon enough. I did size down half a step though as per most of the advice I've read. If I get 405s again I'll do the same because I always felt like my 10.5 b/d were just a little too long... I thought initially it was no biggy but over time it bothered me a bit.

Doug C

chicken

^ Yeah, especially because 405s stretch quite a bit over time. GTs feel harder though.

BTW, at least two of my White's were purchased used, and cheap. And they're still good. Amazing the power of solid boots.

Cobblers161

chicken said:
Cobblers, that pricing is amazing. Especially considering it's in the UK.

Yeh, I was pretty suprised myself. They are handsome.... I can feel the cogs turning and the 'must have' machine kicking into life. I will attempt to resist but have a feeing it'll be futile.

Do these tend to run large similar to the usual Red Wings. Had a pair a few years ago and needed to downsize by one whole size.

Doug C

My "black-cherry" plaintoe GT's arrived today and they are great. I gotta say that the color is much better in person than in any of the pictures that get posted. To begin with, the color name itself can be a turn off and probably (subliminaly) accentuates the burgandy tone of the pictures. It's actually a nice dark brown with red undertones, very 1940s, infact... it's quite like the WWII russett boots you see that have darken with age and/or that the solder has used brown polish on, as many did. I never wanted this boot before because of the overly burgandy looking pictures that the flash creates with this leather - so it's a bit of a pleasant surprise. They are fairly stiff right out of the box as others have reported, and the soles will hardly flex at all but I worked them by hand and loosened them up a bit. With that said they are not uncomfortable at all, just not flexy when you first put them on. They made huge strides in the break-in after just a few short hours though. BTW, I ended up getting these because of convenience and price basically. A word on size, I sized down half a step and the fit is pretty near perfect - I'm usually a 10.5D and I bought these in a 10D, and am glad I did (YMMV, as always). I love the last that this boot was formed on with it's high round toe box that creates such a nice profile. Folks who are hyper sensitive to minute details could find fault with some of the stitching on my pair, I see a couple of places that a little more care could have been taken, especially for the money but it's a very minor issue in my mind and hasn't bothered me in the least. Over all a great pair of boots and it's been one of those purchases that I'd do again in a heart beat. I think I'm gonna be much more pleased with these than I was with my Aldens.

Doug C

Doug C

thanks, I had a pair of Alden 405s from '06. The russett brown color I loved, that was perfect and generally I loved the boot as a whole but I had a couple of issues. They were a half size too long (10.5D) which is my fault but it bugged me after a while. Secondly, the alden's flat profile just didn't suit my taste ideally. I always wished the toe was more like the red wings. Now, with that said - I still have a love for the aldens, I'm not sure why but I think I'll have to get another pair one of these days, they're just so classic.

Doug C

chicken

I also have a pair of Indys from around that time that i've put some solid wear in. So it'll be very interesting to see how these GTs will compare to them.

Doug C

Mine were starting to look really nice when I sold them :cry: , I think I'm gonna go as long as possible with the GT's before I clean these up at all, get some real signs of wear on 'em first.. BTW, I was under the impression that these would have a Red Wing insignia imprinted on the leather at the side of each boot - but mine DO NOT and that was another pleasant surprise.

Doug C

chicken

Yeah, these Beckman Boots don't come with RW logos embossed on the sides, and that's one of the reasons I really wanted a pair of these!