• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Wing Gentlemen's Traveller Boots

A

Anonymous

I think these have been covered before (and lost) so I thought I'd post these photos of a great pair of boots. Be warned though, they take a lot of breaking in. I wore mine for 2 days wet and had to start with the top two pairs of holes undone and worked my way up over time.

gt04.jpg

gt03.jpg

gt02.jpg

gt01.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Ooh a boot thread, good.

Thanks Dave, great boots ... I always wanted a pair of GT's in the cherry/black.

Here's my two current favourites, black RM Williams Rigger's, and the Lone Wolf Carpenter's ......

RMW-Rigger.jpg

LoneWolf.jpg

Chandler

Was checking out the Travelers on the Red Wing site -- anyone notice the new "Ranger" style they have? One in smooth, another in rough-out -- pretty nice looking, wonder why they have no prices on their site, or did I miss a drop-down?

Chandler

Tim P

contacted the seller, by the time the 40 bucks postage and the inevitable customs charges from them not marking it 'gift' are added, they are high dollar boots. change of heart...

A

Anonymous

David,
Those are both great looking boots. I particularly like the dark brown colour of the RM Williams riggers. Do you think it's possible to retro dye my Red Wings that colour ? And if so, how ?

Cheers,
Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
I particularly like the dark brown colour of the RM Williams riggers. Do you think it's possible to retro dye my Red Wings that colour ? And if so, how ?

They're actually black, Dave. It's not a shiny finish to the leather, and the photo is in artificial light, with a flash.

But I have painted one pair .... buy a tube of burnt umber artist's acrylic, wash down thoroughly with meths, apply several coats with a small brush, rub down with a coarse rag between coats, apply conditioner.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice David.

I'll see if there's any meths left in the house - my wife has a fondness for it ! Probably because of the number of jackets I have 'cluttering up the house' :D

Dave

Doug C

Is there a place to get the Gentlemen's Travelers from other than cultism? I like cultism and would love to deal with them on a pair of RWs but they don't have the pair I want in my size. Actually I'm not sure the style number but it's brown with a mock toe, natural colored welt and a thin black vibram sole. Where can I get 'em?

Doug C

siddhartha

Administrator
Doug C said:
Is there a place to get the Gentlemen's Travelers from other than cultism? I like cultism and would love to deal with them on a pair of RWs but they don't have the pair I want in my size. Actually I'm not sure the style number but it's brown with a mock toe, natural colored welt and a thin black vibram sole. Where can I get 'em?

Doug C

They can be had through Zappos.com, too.

I got mine through Cultism-be sure to follow the sizing instructions though, if you go through them, as you don't want to have to send them back

Chris

mazeta

siddhartha said:
Doug C said:

Doug C

They can be had through Zappos.com, too.

I got mine through Cultism-be sure to follow the sizing instructions though, if you go through them, as you don't want to have to send them back

Chris
Zappos is the best way to go. I think the Red Wing retail locations can also special order them for you (at full retail).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:

Doug C

If they're brown with a mock toe, they're probably not GT's, and may be more widely available.

Like the picture here on the hat forum thread? ...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... 58&page=14

Or like these at Baker's, but with a different sole ...

http://www.bakershoe.com/red-wing-catal ... style.html

Doug C

Thanks for the info guys but it looks like I may be S.O.L. , zappos doesn't seem to carry the ones I'm after either. Cultism did carry them but I guess I may have waited too long, and yes I'm pretty sure there were from the Gentlemen Travelers series, the welt and sole are much nicer than the RWs (Jcrew) ones posted on the Fed.lounge thread. Here's a picture of them taken from cultism's adds:

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
... and yes I'm pretty sure there were from the Gentlemen Travelers series ...

Doug, irrespective of which sole is currently available, the moc toe boot is known as the Classic Lifestyle. Both this style, and the Gentleman Traveler (9011, and 9014), are part of Red Wing's Lifestyle Heritage Range.

Here's a link to Red Wing, the Iron Ranger is another that you might like ...

http://www.redwingshoes.com/ProductResu ... y=heritage

Doug C

Well David, that may be the case but I'm certain that there were more that just plain toe versions of the "Gentlemens Travelers" early on, as there only seems to be now. So, there were other differences between this boot and it's counterpart in the classic lifestyle series. The ones in the picture I posted differ from the classic lifestyle collection not only in welt/sole configuration BUT also used a better leather, a leather that was not oil pulled... maybe even shineable? I don't like the classic lifestyle ones enough to invest in unfortunatley. I watched these at cultism forever thinking "..some day" and took my eye off them for a few months and now they are not offered anymore. If I chose a plain toe version I'd probably go with these from the Beckman collection (BTW, RW is confusing as hell with all their different collection :evil: )
http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php ... 546c710159

Doug C