• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended a leather sewing machine

P-47 thunderbolt

Hi all, I've dabbled with leather work for a while but am looking to invest in a decent quality sewing machine - a professional type one. I understand it needs a walking foot for leather work.
Does anyone know an industry go to machine, or a top quality second hand type?
My eventual goal is to make a jacket but I also make wallets, sheaths etc.
Any recommendations will be really appreciated

Micawber

How much do you want to spend?

Can't go far wrong with an old Singer 111 or 211 walking foot machine, they are plentiful and spares are available. You might want to fit a modern servo motor and control as the speed can be dialled right down which is useful until you gain experience. The old high speed clutch motors can be tricky to control, no problem for a machinist using them all day but for occasional or novice use a servo motor will be your friend.

The Juki equivalent / version of the above (model 563) are good updated versions of the 111 machines. Maybe a 1508 will do you or Consew 206.

All depends on your budget. Bear in mind these things are heavy and take up a bit more room than your domestic machines.

flyincowboy

At the shop we have pfaff 1245 and adler 167 both are walking foot type we use them regularly Most of the time i currently spend times using the ADLER 167/73 And i love sewing leather with her. Easy to maintain and good for daily use, we got another one with a double needle as well.

Micawber

At the shop we have pfaff 1245 and adler 167 both are walking foot type we use them regularly Most of the time i currently spend times using the ADLER 167/73 And i love sewing leather with her. Easy to maintain and good for daily use, we got another one with a double needle as well.

Nice, spendy but nice:)

mr_lits

I use a Highlead GC0318-1 For much of the work I do. It is a fairly inexpensive machine but seems to do the job on light to mid-weight leather well enough. I did end up changing out the motor to a nicer variable speed model though.

STEVE S.

Whatever you decide on, make sure it has a reverse & if possible, one of the electric servo motors with speed adjustment vs the old clutch style.Some of those old clutch motors go from 0- 100mph in a split second & you have to hang on for the ride. If you find a good machine for the right price, dont let the motor be a deal breaker, the servo motors are only a couple hundred bux.
Im running a Consew 206-RB5 right now.

P-47 thunderbolt

Ah cheers guys, looks like I need to do a little research into these different models. Thank you ever so much for the response!

Micawber

While it's sometimes possible to change the pulley size on a clutch motor they are still more suited to high speed work in the manufacturing industry. The motor is running all the time and the 'clutch' is generally a pretty basic affair means they are good for long fast runs of stitching but not so good for short run, stop start intricate jobs. Servo motors and controllers are totally different and should cover speeds from slow, say one stitch a second or so up to very fast.
For small leather jobs something like an old manual Singer 29k 'patcher' may suit. These, or similar patcher machines by other makers, can still be seen in use in cobblers - shoe repairers - and horse tack places over here. The fact that you can steer the feed rather than have to move the work around and that the manual crank makes them ideal for small jobs. That can be electrified and most parts are still available. They are a great machine to look at and while eBay prices are ridiculous I often come across them in general auctions where they can be bought for reasonable amounts. I have bought several this way.