• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for sheepskin jackets wanted

Graknil

Hello Forum community,

I'm a newbie in terms of leatherjackets. I'm looking for a lambskin jacket which keeps me warm while driving a roadster even in lower temparatures. I'm especially fond of british flying jackets in the irvin-style. Browsing the Internet i came across several websites of manufacturers, but could not make a decision yet. Because i don't plan to drive the car far below 0 degrees I would prefer a kind of lightweight-jacket, which is not too bulky.
That's why i'm looking for advice. What's your experience with the various jackets, which jacket/manufacturer would you recommend and for which reason? Are there any manufacturers, who make bespoke jackets or at least "made to measure"? What would i have to consider as a reasonable price?
Thanks for answers in advance
Olaf

mulceber

Hi Olaf, welcome to the board! For shearling jackets right now (FYI: lambskin is something completely different), the makers most people go to are Aero Leather of Scotland and Eastman Leather. Five Star Leather is making good inroads too. If you're looking for a lighter jacket, you might consider the D-1 style, as that was made in a lighter shearling. I'm not sure how wearable an Irvin would be in above-freezing weather, but that's worth exploring. The first two makers produce both D-1s and the Irvin (multiple varieties, in fact), while Five Star only makes the D-1 and B-3s at the moment. For price, Aero is very much middle of the pack here: £750-800, depending on the jacket. Eastman is about £300 above that, while Five Star is about £300-400 below Aero's price point.

Last edited:

mulceber

That’s a very good idea. The D-1 will definitely fit your need for a lighter fleece. Then you can start pursuing the style you want, and if it turns out the Irvin’s too warm for where you are, you can sell it and you’ll still have the D-1.

Graknil

Thanks for your answers,,
Would the B6 do the job, too? I heard, it has a lighter fleece, too?
And some manufacturers offer lighter versions of the Irvin. Are there any experiences with those jackets?

ausreenactor

Certainly will! Just sourcing that first one to work out what fills the need in a cost efficient manner could be more difficult.

mulceber

I'd completely blanked on that. Yes! The fleece on a B-6 has a similar length to that of a D-1, so that would also be a great starting point.

I'm not familiar with thinner-weight Irvins, but then, the RAF jackets aren't my area of interest, so me not knowing about it doesn't mean much. I would be hesitant about messing with thickness of the fleece, as that throws off the overall proportions of the jacket. But others may be better able to advise you.

Last edited:

Smithy

Hi Olaf,

I love Irvin jackets, they were the ones that got me into this jacket nonsense as one of my family flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, and well when I was a young buck I thought all Spit pilots threw an Irvin on before scrambling (no they didn't but that's for another thread...)

In terms of an Irvin that fits the bill for you from what you have said you have a few options.

If accuracy is important (so a jacket made to the same pattern as the real WWII deal without pockets) then your best option is one of the ones offered by Aero. They are accurate in pattern, fleece and fleece length, sizing is fully custom and the price is really sharp for what you get.

I have an Eastman which I bought new in 2007 and in the past I would have said go for Eastman but they have raised their prices to obscenely stupid levels and you're better off getting an Aero. The outer finish on the current Eastman Irvins is also crap now compared to their older offerings.

If accuracy doesn't mean diddly-squat to you and you want an Irvin "inspired" jacket to wear with the top down in your Caterham then one of Aviation Leathercraft's "Lightweight" Irvins would suit what you say you're after. ALC jackets are very popular with the classic car crowd because they''re well made and warm. As you mention above that you don't want a heavy or bulky jacket stay away from their standard Irvin which is overkill in terms of fleece length/thickness and warmth.

Long story short:

1) You want WWII accuracy: Get an Aero

2) You want a lightweight Irvin "inspired" jacket just to roar around in your Caterham: Get an Aviation Leathercraft Lightweight Irvin

HTH,

Tim

stanier

Long story short:

1) You want WWII accuracy: Get an Aero

2) You want a lightweight Irvin "inspired" jacket just to roar around in your Caterham: Get an Aviation Leathercraft Lightweight Irvin

HTH,

Tim

Agree 100% with the analysis. Personally I don't know what AL pricing is like (no interest in them for me, and don;t "get" the thinking) it would be Aero all the way on a readily available Irvin

Lord Flashheart

This just in from the Department of Firmly Grasping What You Want in Life. I do a bit of road cycling and reckon the N+1 rule applies to jackets not just bikes.

Aero's Late WW2 multi-panel RAF jacket. I'm really liking Aero's multi panel detailing. Very comfortable and looking forward to wearing this in the Winter. Fortunately the wind today made this okay to try out. Glad it didn't arrive last week !
IMG_1791.jpeg

stanier

This just in from the Department of Firmly Grasping What You Want in Life. I do a bit of road cycling and reckon the N+1 rule applies to jackets not just bikes.

Aero's Late WW2 multi-panel RAF jacket. I'm really liking Aero's multi panel detailing. Very comfortable and looking forward to wearing this in the Winter. Fortunately the wind today made this okay to try out. Glad it didn't arrive last week !
View attachment 42154

Very nice Mr Flashheart!!! Road cycling? Me too (but not today in this wind!)

Lord Flashheart

Too right Chris but the weekend looks right to spin up the pedals and search out a decent cafe terrace. I guess I'd look a right clown in this and lycra. But come the winter ... hmmm... maybe :eek:

Smithy

Too right Chris but the weekend looks right to spin up the pedals and search out a decent cafe terrace. I guess I'd look a right clown in this and lycra. But come the winter ... hmmm... maybe :eek:

The thing that looks utterly ridiculous - and I've seen these sorts of prats in Norway, NZ and Oz - are those who get dressed up like they're in the Tour de France to go for a casual weekend bike ride to the local cafe for a flat white or to the shops to pick up some milk. The worst is when they're on the fat side with all that lycra crap, looks like someone tried to stuff a cricket ball into a condom.

Graknil

View attachment 42154

The jacket fitts you very well. It really looks great.