• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommend me a leather jacket

Brettafett

You've had a bad experience, one most of us have experienced ourselves. Fit issues are not unusual.
I waited 2 years for a GW and had a similar issue. In fact, this happened twice, despite numerous emails on sizing. The jackets didn't fit, but they were still top class jackets.
BK is one of the better makers out there, so if you get an A-2 from another maker, just be sure on your expectations...

Perhaps you could try asking if they will replace the 42 with a better size. This before sending it off. Its a regular size, so maybe they can sell it.
You ay have to wait a while again, but as you can see, its a top class jacket.

If not, sell and move on. Welcome to the club.

Micawber

What a long thread that just goes to prove you can get yourself so wrapped up in the what ifs and maybes that it's possible to end up confusing what should basically be dealing with obtaining a reasonable fit from what are copies of issue garments and not hand sewn bespoke items that have gone through several stages of fitting before being finally sewn up and finished.

The A-2 is a simple garment, fit was hit and miss, you got and used what you were given or could swap with others on the base.

MrBlue, and anyone else about to order their first repro, brush up on your measuring technique. Actually take time to read the how to's here then practice and practice again. Too many people rush in and expect pre-existing info to be rewritten to answer multiple queries because they have not taken the trouble to read and understood good pre-existing information. A flat surface for basic measuring of existing garments is essential. Apart from when you need to measure around things a flexible tailors tape can sometimes be a handicap, a rigid yardstick type rule will remove variances brought about by mildly stretching both garment and take with only one pair of inexperienced hands.

MrBlue, If you don't want to deal with BK any more - and I think some of your perceived issues with the garment - are down to issues with measuring techniques then stick it up for sale OR just wear the thing [wear the piss out of it as Burt B-Man2 would say]. Wear it outside, wear it in all weathers, don't be afraid to get it wet and dry while you wear it and in time it will mould to your physique.

Can you take some front & rear photos with the jacket done up and your shoulders relaxed - your pose in the posted images strikes me as having your hands away from thighs, shoulders pulled back, chest out. You need a relaxed pose - hands and arms loose and hung by your sides, chest and stomach relaxed too. I think Andy may wince at a full refund if there is a chance of user error in the original order.

Just my two penneth worth. No offence intended to man nor beast :) ;)

Edited to deal with some strange typos thanks to my phone.

Last edited:

B-Man2

What a long thread that just goes to prove you can get yourself so wrapped up in the what ifs and maybes that it's possible to end up confusing what should basically be dealing with obtaining a reasonable fit from what are copies of issue garments and not hand sewn bespoke items that have gone through several stages of fitting before being finally sewn up and finished.

The A-2 is a simple garment, fit was hit and miss, you got and used what you were given or could swap with others on the base.

MrBlue, and anyone else about to order their first repro, brush up on your measuring technique. Actually take time to read the how to's here then practice and practice again. Too many people rush in and expect pre-existing info to be rewritten to answer multiple queries because they have not taken the trouble to read and understood good pre-existing information. A flat surface for basic measuring of existing garments is essential. Apart from when you need to measure around things a flexible tailors tape can sometimes be a handicap, a rigid yardstick type rule will remove variances brought about by mildly stretching both garment and take with only one pair of inexperienced hands.

MtBlue, If you don't want to deal with BK any more - and I think some of your perceived issues with the garment - are down to issues with measuring techniques then stick it up for sale OR just wear the thing [wear the piss out of it as Burt B-Man2 would say]. Wear it outside, wear it in all weathers, don't be afraid to get it wet and dry while you wear it and in time it will mould to your physique. Can you take some front & rear photos with the jacket done up and your shoulders relaxed - your pose in the posted images strikes me as having your hands away from thighs, shoulders pulled back, chest out. You need a relaxed pose - hands and arms loose and hung by your sides, chest and stomach relaxed too. I think Andy may wince at a full refund if there is a chance of user error in the original order.

Just my two penneth worth. No offence intended to man nor beast :) ;)
Steve
I think that’s some good advice for any first time buyer of a flight jacket . One of the first things that I’ve always advised new buyers is, to know your personal measurements and know the measurements of the jacket you are about to purchase . Forget about label sizes and numbers . Just know your measurements along with the jackets, and you will never have this problem .

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Hi MrBlue,

I just saying but, there are a couple of jackets here for sale, yes used but like new. If you wana have a A-2 for this summer it could be a nice avenue for you. The measurements seems a bit bigger than your BK and they are pretty dark seal...! The sellers are top guys too and they will help you with the fit.

Dany

mulceber

Dany raises a good suggestion. Silver Surfer’s Aero 1711 in particular would probably be a good fit for you. An extra inch in the pit-to-pit, and an extra half inch in the sleeves. Looks like it would work out well!

Kermit3D

Oh and there is this smashing GW Perry, a bit bigger but very desirable.

Mr. Blue, this A-2 GoodWear is simply the best you can get...
You could look for years before you find one (even if you order a new one from GoodWear :D).
I think the fit is good. Maybe a little roomy in the shoulders and chest... but I don't think that's a problem. Other people will be able to advise you better than me for the dimensions
Once you're sure of the measurements, I'll give you one piece of advice : throw yourself at it !!!

MrBlue

You guys are going to judge me but it is not what I'm looking for in a jacket. I'm not a fan of red knits in combination with seal leather.

At the end of the day, I know that if I bought such a jacket, I would not want to wear it. Even if it is "historically accurate", which I'm afraid to say, is not of great importance to me (being completely honest).

MaydayWei

You guys are going to judge me but it is not what I'm looking for in a jacket. I'm not a fan of red knits in combination with seal leather.

At the end of the day, I know that if I bought such a jacket, I would not want to wear it. Even if it is "historically accurate", which I'm afraid to say, is not of great importance to me (being completely honest).

No judgment here! Just friendly suggestions. Follow your heart; always.
This is no hobby for the brain! If we'd thought it through none of us would be here...

Micawber

Gents,

Whether I know my measurements or not, Andy produced a jacket that is smaller than what I requested. End of story.

Good luck with the sale, your jacket should sell well.

Having re-read this entire lengthy thread again [twice] today I am reminded why I chose to be an observer as it developed. However, I have now decided to throw in my opinions in the ring and I'll tell you why: Having recently finished chemotherapy and even more recently received the all clear from what was initially diagnosed as a terminal illness, I have made the conscious decision to use additional time I have been blessed with I have decided to pussyfoot around less and and say it how it is more - as long as I feel what I have to say will hopefully be of benefit the recipient ...I can imagine one or two who know me will be raising an eyebrow at this :D ;)

So, down to brass tacks: I feel your comment above about knowing your measurements or not is really a key factor. I would respectfully point out that unless you provide a manufacturer with the correct data furnishing you with a satisfactory product is going to be a matter of luck. Having seen examples of your measuring techniques even at this late stage I am not surprised you stated yesterday that Andy is saying your measurements are wrong, while I fully appreciate the difficulties of photographing and measuring at the same time I still see room for errors even in your last batch of photos. For future reference when we say lay the garment on a flat surface and stretch both the garment and the tape that is exactly what is meant - you need to use both hands to smooth the garment to its maximum and do the same with the tape - at the same time. Do the same for the pit to pit on the front and back. The same technique should be applied to the shoulders and back length. I still see a somewhat "relaxed' garment and tape in your last images. Pedantic yes but sometimes being a pedant matters.

I also feel that when presenting a garment for appraisal while being worn it is worth making sure your shirt is pulled down and trousers hoisted up.

I would be interested to learn more regarding the comment you made last Friday - namely BK messed up the ANJ-3 twice, so they cancelled it and refunded me. Generally speaking BK have a good reputation so I am surprised that they messed up your initial order and yet further surprised and disappointed for you that the A2 they subsequently supplied has turned out to be unsatisfactory for you.

Listen, with the very, very greatest of respect, I think the only way I can see you will get something that you will be happy with is to either try on various jackets, including the potential purchase, first or get some assistance measuring up.

Last edited:

MaydayWei

@MrBlue

I'm very sorry to hear things turned out the way it did.
However, considering the degree of difficulty and stress you've faced with the BK, I would warn you against going with 5*.
It is my opinion that the issues you've had here will simply carry over to 5*; especially considering the fact that you are requesting specific measurements which you are not entirely sure will work in the first place.
Not to mention that 5* has its own special way of measuring jackets that you'll have to get used to.
Mind you, there have been many times people on here have complained that Shawn sent them a jacket with incorrect measurements, just to go through the whole "am I measuring my jacket wrong?" palaver over and over.

If it were me and I lived in the UK, I would go to ELC or Aero in person and try on jackets till I got the fit right.
Requesting exact measurements is, in my fair judgement, no easy task for someone who does not have a good basis to go off from in the first place.

Get a ELC or Aero first; then, from there, you can simply transpose measurements.
It's tough when it doesn't work out; its a real shame and almost a complete waste of time.
I wish you good luck moving forwards.

mulceber

Hey @MrBlue - between the comments of @Micawber and @MaydayWei, I think you have some very good advice to be getting on with. I especially agree with Wei's point that, in light of your experience measuring, your best way forward would be to visit Aero or Eastman, where you would be able to try on jackets to your heart's content before you order. Think of it as one of the perks of living in the UK: you have two vendors that actually have brick and mortar shops. I can only wish I had that luxury here in the states. My wife would have to drag me out at the end of the day and just hope I hadn't bought more than 2 jackets. :D You have that resource, so use it.

Last edited: