• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real McCoys 37J1B Zielinski - seawater-wash?

asiamiles

a2jacketpatches said:
asiamiles said:
Personally, I'm still looking for a way to fade the stencilling on my RM N-1 Deck Jacket.
I don't have an answer for that one. The paint they use could be of quality enough to stay very dark through several washings. On a no-stencil jacket, I would take a certain type of paint I keep in stock and reduce it about with about 20% water., this would weaken the binder enough that it would fade nicely on the first wash and keep fading but always remain visible. Back on Cape Cod I found a ton of these jackets over the years with degrees of fading from about 50% to where you could hardly see it anymore.

The one couchy just posted appears to have the perfect fade to it.

Yes, I agree, that's just about right. RM seems to have applied the paint thicker; I haven't actually washed the jacket, but have made 2 or 3 attempts at tackling the stencils, including using nail varnish remover, but with almost zero results.

omarco

I don't have any experience with the 37J1B but after wearing my RM N1 all winter it really needed a wash. I bit the bullet and shoved it in the washing machine on a 30 deg wash with no spin cycle. It came out great. It shrunk a tiny bit and the alpaca is not as soft as it was when new, it sort of bunched like a well worn sheepskin jacket does. But it also faded in quite a nice way and looks better for it, I have now washed it twice with no I'll affects. The stencil remains pretty dark so I'll be listening for any tips on how to dull it down.

My recipe - wear it a lot, when it's dirty wash it on a cool wash, don't be tempted to hot wash it, it will shrink... a lot... and I think the alpaca lining will suffer.

Pics when I get a chance.

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
Personally, I'm still looking for a way to fade the stencilling on my RM N-1 Deck Jacket.
Perhaps the problem is that the ink used for the stencils is different to that used on originals. I know that the shoulder stencil on my Buzz B-10 appears to be synthetic based and it refuses to fade along with the jacket. In my opinion a terrible error and a potential jacket ruiner. Not so much on an N-1 as it's plain black and less obtrusive.

Wholenineyards

Just saw that my thread got bumped up this morning.

In BR sizing, I'm somewhere between a size 40 and 42. I have the BR/Mister Freedom Pensacola jacket in size 40 - which fits me trim - I probably would do better (in that particular jacket) with the size 42 - one wash. I used to own a BR N-1 in size 40 - which fit me perfect. I own a BR/Mister Freedom Mulholland jacket in size 40 - which also fits perfect.

The only other RMC jacket I've owned so far was a B-10 Stagg Coat - and I'm pretty sure that was a size 42. Perfect fit. (Should have kept that jacket!).

So, generally I would say that BR runs bigger than RMC - about a size... or 3/4 of a size... somewhere in there.

Strangely, the more I try on my RMC 37J1B - I am thinking that a size 42 probably would have been too small for me? I figured, maybe since John Chapman was involved in developing the RMC 37J1b - the sizing is closer to GW sizing (which runs small compared to BR, etc.)? Might also be the overall cut of the jacket - intentionally trim.

The BR 37J1B looks like a really nice jacket too - I would have been happy to pick up one of those instead of the RMC (better price) - but couldn't find one.

Hey, I hate to suggest ruining a brand new jacket - but - have you considered shrinking your size 44 BR? Tricky, dangerous... yes - but - you might end up w/ a nice-looking and better fitting jacket?

I myself decided that I'm just too damn chicken to try in shrink my RMC 37J1B.
Better late than never, thank you very much, Marc, for your answer. I was finally able to get hold of a BR 37J1 size 42, it’s worth sometimes waiting until a good thing comes along... cheers, all the best!

Thomas Koehle

For general I would never ever try to fade the stencils with paint remover or solvent or whatsoever. If you get some of the stuff on the fabric it might bleach the color of the jacket itself but not of the stencil.

For an „aged“ look I take sanding paper 120 grit and rub it gently over the exposed spots which usually get the most wear like the elbows, sleeve-ends, around the zipper and around the pockets. This usually gives the „stress“ you get when using garment.

Wearing your jackets causes abrasions on the spots where the garment is touched frequently or in contact with surfaces (even the surface of the armrest in your car) and I „imitate“ that with simply sanding.

You need an eye and some imagination where to „sand“ otherwise it simply looks ridiculous. And off course start gently - put herein the washer afterwards - hang dry and check for the effect once the garment is dry. If you ain’t satisfied with the result repeat ...