• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Mccoy cotton sateen

Serghei87

Dear All!

I was checking these days the parkas from Real Mccoy made of cotton sateen.

Anyone ever owned or owns some of them?

How good is this cotton sateen?

Is it waterproof as well?

Any feedback is well appreciated :)

Cheers!

B-Man2

Hi Serghei
While I’m definitely not an expert on the properties of cotton sateen, I have owned a few items made from CS, so I’ll pass on what little I know about it. First off CS is a type of “polished cotton’ which is a more shiny and smoother cotton that has a shiny look to it. During the Viet Nam war some US Army Fatigues were made from CS and were called “Sateens”. Today many bed linen companies make CS sheets and pillow cases as it’s smooth and silky feel is nicer to sleep on .
CS is definitely NOT waterproof.
What kind of jacket were you thinking of purchasing ?

Serghei87

Hi Serghei
While I’m definitely not an expert on the properties of cotton sateen, I have owned a few items made from CS, so I’ll pass on what little I know about it. First off CS is a type of “polished cotton’ which is a more shiny and smoother cotton that has a shiny look to it. During the Viet Nam war some US Army Fatigues were made from CS and were called “Sateens”. Today many bed linen companies make CS sheets and pillow cases as it’s smooth and silky feel is nicer to sleep on .
CS is definitely NOT waterproof.
What kind of jacket were you thinking of purchasing ?
The Fishtail M-1951 :) i liked it a lot but the price is scary. So was wondering if their cotton sateen is so superior from other brands i have seen that sell for cheaper for example Bronson or even Buzz Rickson ( but theirs are cotton Satin...which is different a bit and less strong than sateen from what i have read)

B-Man2

I think that once you wash the CS jackets a few times the shiny look will start to fade a bit. Check some of the photos of originals on EBay and such to get an idea of what CS looks like after several washing’s . It may help you make up your mind wether spending the extra money for CS is worth it .