• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Mccoy Avalanche Coat: Real name?

MaydayWei

Hello Everyone,

In light of the recent civi jacket discussions, I thought I'd ask what type of jacket this is:
Its a Joe/Real Mccoy "Avalanche" coat, but (surely) that's not what its often referred to as, is it?
I ask this because I wish to buy a real vintage one, but for my life, I have no idea what to type into the eBay search bar.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Cheers

taiAtari

Not sure if this is a specific type of coat. Looks like a heavy-duty cross of a mackinaw/jeep coat and a blue N-1 with a bit of N3 sprinkled in. Mostly mackinaw in type though imo (shawl collar, buttoned, belt etc).

asiamiles

I've been tempted by those too. Buzz have done a couple of variants of the same basic design - they call it a Coastguard Coat - one being very much like the one Jimmy Stewart wears one in NIGHT PASSAGE, with leather completely surrounding the pockets, but I prefer the double-breasted RM with just the leather triangles.

buzzcc.jpg

MaydayWei

Nice pictures,as said i'd put this in the mackinaw/jeep coat territory if you're looking for one. Apparently DIEWORKWEAR did a blog about these type of coats> https://dieworkwear.com/2017/01/18/the-rugged-jeep-coat/. The examples seem on the very heavy duty end with the RMC one influenced in materials and details by the (blue) N/1 deck coat and a bit of the N3 family of jackets.

Did a little research after, and turns out it’s called a “barnstormer” coat. But really, it’s only one variation of the style. I did consider jeep coat, and Mackinaw Coat. But I believe it’s simply an unnamed variation of the barnstormer.

asiamiles

Picked up this Toyo Enterprise one for a good price on Yahoo!Auctions. The lining is only acrylic but I like the conservative use of leather. It's a size down from what I'd usually consider my size and so feels just big enough -- likely only room for a thin sweater or fitted shirt underneath -- though a bigger size would've meant the arms would be too long.

avalanche.jpg

MaydayWei

Picked up this Toyo Enterprise one for a good price on Yahoo!Auctions. The lining is only acrylic but I like the conservative use of leather. It's a size down from what I'd usually consider my size and so feels just big enough -- likely only room for a thin sweater or fitted shirt underneath -- though a bigger size would've meant the arms would be too long.

View attachment 61031
That’s a fine looking coat mate.
And hopefully for a good price that you wouldn’t mind thrashing around in it like you were meant to!