• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RE THE FORUM PARTICIPATION

elfraty

Lets fresh thing up and challenge the manufacturers to produce a jacket comprised of all the great jackets from the past and put all our effort and ideas in that and see what will come out eventually. So a project to develop the ultimate World War II flight jacket which until today never existed. To much of a challenge? Bad idea? Would this community then become more involved and more active to create a jacket so unique and so special born out of the effort of maximum member input?

B-Man2

While I think that’s a unique proposal, I’m not sure it would gain much traction here. Part of our attraction to these particular types of jackets is the history and stories of the people who wore them . A hybrid jacket like the one you described wouldn’t hold much interest without that history .

mulceber

Lets fresh thing up and challenge the manufacturers to produce a jacket comprised of all the great jackets from the past and put all our effort and ideas in that and see what will come out eventually. So a project to develop the ultimate World War II flight jacket which until today never existed. To much of a challenge? Bad idea? Would this community then become more involved and more active to create a jacket so unique and so special born out of the effort of maximum member input?

I think you just described the LL Bean Shearling flight jacket.;)

Micawber

I have eclectic tastes and at times I like to be different. If things pan out with me I might commission a leather work coat of a type common before the simpler, cheaper and more relaxed sack coat became popular in the late 19th century.
About 15 years ago I had a couple of suits and jackets copied from a typical mid, late 19th century gamekeepers suit and also a head horsemans jacket that was made for a friend's great, grandfather around the same period. I wore these for days out black powder game shooting with ancient fire sticks or when I fancied looking oldy worldy around the horses.

I'll dig a one out and take a pic tomorrow but imagine a jacket with a seam around the waist fom which the lower panels are attached. The rear is tailored using several panels to form a fitted and waisted appearance,. There are usually two buttons set either side of the centre seam, the original purpose of the was to allow riders to fix the rear vent up to avoid it fouling the animal. In short the forunner of the modern mounted huntsmans coat.

But different for VLJ huh, sorry but cycling jackets just don't float my boat. No offence to meant or implied blah blah blah :)

Pic off the net

BTW Please check the person next to you as I imagine the lack of any flight jacket content in the above has sent some to sleep:D
English_gamekeepers_jacket_or__as226a334z-2.jpg

Micawber

Great Idea.
Happy New Year all. Great design!View attachment 50198

Thank you. That's close but lacking in the essential details that I require, centre waist seam ft or one. The jackets I have are more fitted which actually makes them easier to work in. Another advantage is the ability to load both the external pockets in the skirts and internal game pockets (some also have pockets set into the inside edge of the skirts either side of the centre seam at the back) and have the weight shared between the shoulders and the waist instead of the shoulders alone.
I have the copies I had tailored and several original period pieces still. I will try to get some photos later

Ken at Aero Leather

Camel-is-a-horse-.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

No offence meant and nothing personnal but it's been tried in many fields :mad:
Anyway, just my opinion, but I believe the ultimate Flight Jacket/Coat has already been designed

Neta Snook Southern _kinner_field_1921.jpg

We've already made a couple, whether they'll go into full production or not hasn't been decided

Brettafett

Some might say an ANJ-3 comes close, a hybrid of A-2 and G-1 types...

galvestonokie

i read and re-read this thread, not sure what it is about. i participate in a number of forums on various topics and see a common problem. IMHO, some of us, me included occasionally, take this way too seriously. i often don't agree with some ppl, but generally keep this to myself. i am a traditionalist and have been around this forum for a while. my interest is primarily USN jackets, but i have lusted after a number of non-USN jackets here. for example, i remember a gent from the UK who sported a very well broken-in Aero half-belt in cordovan? horse. A stunning jacket and i have yet to find one in my size (big) in that wonderful stage of used, comfortable perfection. i would pay a lot for a jacket like that.
i have obviously seen many great A-2s and many other military jackets here. as has been said, a great jacket is a great jacket. the challenge for most of us is sizing. i've owned many jackets trying for fit but mostly failed. and, i personally abhor new jackets. i totally enjoy the contributors i mostly interacted with in the past: andrew (A-2 guy from UK); airfrog; and the Army Huey driver from Tenn? (who knows an awful lot about peacoats); Maverickson; the A-6 driver from VMA-311. sorry if i am too lazy to look up all the handles. but don't miss a total fraud or two whom, when outed, disappeared-but that's going back a ways. these interactions gave me a lot of pleasure and information.
one great loss, IMHO, is Roger Moore's jacket page. it was a tremendous resource regarding vintage USN jackets, sizes, etc. and i have no idea what happened to it.
so, in addition to reminiscing about the forum, i would encourage contributors to chill a bit. there are plenty of political haters out there, more than ready to jump on anyone who slightly disagrees with them. this forum would be much more pleasant if we all appreciated the differences among us and relaxed.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

i read and re-read this thread, not sure what it is about. i participate in a number of forums on various topics and see a common problem. IMHO, some of us, me included occasionally, take this way too seriously. i often don't agree with some ppl, but generally keep this to myself. i am a traditionalist and have been around this forum for a while. my interest is primarily USN jackets, but i have lusted after a number of non-USN jackets here. for example, i remember a gent from the UK who sported a very well broken-in Aero half-belt in cordovan? horse. A stunning jacket and i have yet to find one in my size (big) in that wonderful stage of used, comfortable perfection. i would pay a lot for a jacket like that.
i have obviously seen many great A-2s and many other military jackets here. as has been said, a great jacket is a great jacket. the challenge for most of us is sizing. i've owned many jackets trying for fit but mostly failed. and, i personally abhor new jackets. i totally enjoy the contributors i mostly interacted with in the past: andrew (A-2 guy from UK); airfrog; and the Army Huey driver from Tenn? (who knows an awful lot about peacoats); Maverickson; the A-6 driver from VMA-311. sorry if i am too lazy to look up all the handles. but don't miss a total fraud or two whom, when outed, disappeared-but that's going back a ways. these interactions gave me a lot of pleasure and information.
one great loss, IMHO, is Roger Moore's jacket page. it was a tremendous resource regarding vintage USN jackets, sizes, etc. and i have no idea what happened to it.
so, in addition to reminiscing about the forum, i would encourage contributors to chill a bit. there are plenty of political haters out there, more than ready to jump on anyone who slightly disagrees with them. this forum would be much more pleasant if we all appreciated the differences among us and relaxed.
Well said!

dinomartino1

I have a new old stock old star 1996 G-1, I will post some pics when I get the time.
Senicko the yank from Spain, those where the days when anything decent on the for sale thread would go in a heartbeat, now it's a graveyard.

Last edited:

elfraty

I realise more than anything that I only stir things up a little bit too keep the conversation going. It is totally impossible to associate a jacket, how beautiful it might be, to iconic jackets from WW2.

elfraty

No offence meant and nothing personnal but it's been tried in many fields :mad:
Anyway, just my opinion, but I believe the ultimate Flight Jacket/Coat has already been designed

View attachment 50202

We've already made a couple, whether they'll go into full production or not hasn't been decided

While I think that’s a unique proposal, I’m not sure it would gain much traction here. Part of our attraction to these particular types of jackets is the history and stories of the people who wore them . A hybrid jacket like the one you described wouldn’t hold much interest without that history .
once in while I bring in exotic proposals and wait... not really seriously for all the Following conversation which goes in many directions for me to enjoy... yes!

Members online

Latest posts