• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-dyed A2’s

DSummers

Greetings,
Could someone help me with letting me know if an original A2 is less valuable if it has been re-dyed. And if it is how much less in value would that be. I imagine the value of an original A2 would be less if it had been re-dyed but I would appreciate any of your guy’s opinions.
Thanks

Tom Bowers

re-dyed during the war and It doesn't really hurt the value that much. A large number of A2s were redyed for reissued

If it was redyed post war and isn't in a correct shade than Im afraid it probably harms the value

Love to see photos

Grant

My personal opinion: depends on the condition of the re-dyed hides. A lot of re-dyed hides become stiff and brittled no matter how much Pecards is applied, others remain soft and pliable for some reason. I've posted pics of this before, but here's my re-dyed 27752. The hides on this jacket are still very pliable. Hope that helps!

27752.jpg

Silver Surfer

early on during the war, used a-2s were redid with dye, sometimes even with russet. by 1943 redoes were all handled by aaa depots, and were dyed with a poly acrylic [reason that petards et al will not penetrate the surface] almost paint like coloring. often slapped on generously and in a slap dash manner. grants rw above was obviously redone with dye [not poly], and quite possibly at the rw factory. I have gotten pooh from some about my claim that some jackets were sent back to the factories of origin. as to the poohs, it would seem to be not cost effective. however, ships were coming back to us ports, so it would not be a big deal to lade a few hundred pounds of horse flesh for repairs and or redyes, imo.