• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ray Ban Aviator reloaded

robrinay

Perhaps slightly off the specific topic but certainly closely related - apologies, but I came across a pair of aviator sunglasses in an antique shop on Sunday. They were labelled Algha brand RAF sunglasses 1960’s. They looked like a robust hybrid ‘copy’ of Bausch and Lomb styles. I’ve found others on eBay for quite low prices. Does anyone know if the the RAF issued this brand?

Grant

I ordered a pair of just the hook temples and retro fitted them to my old Ray Ban's. They really work great.

glasses.jpeg

Greg Gale

Alright, I gave them a very decent try: I wore them for days by the lake, I took them flying today. The cable temples are pure agony after more than 30 minutes, maybe it's my head/ ear shape... I tried to stretch them, to no avail. So I swapped the temples with my "normal" aviator's, and now it's so much better. Now I understand why the whole eyewear industry steered well clear of the hooks after WWII.

robrinay

Those hooks don’t look very flexible, maybe that’s the problem - are they made up of segments like the original hooked arms? If they are segmented then they’ll probably loosen up with wear.

Grant

Hey Greg,
Sorry the hooked temples didn't work out. The replacement temples came in two different size lengths so I went with the smaller size (165mm) which worked well for my gourd. Maybe a larger size would be better?

Here's another pair of wartime frames with hooked temples I also wear quite a bit.

vintage.JPG

Silver Surfer

actually, you can still find original ans aos in excelent condition, ie: unscratched lenses, unbent , and uncracked plastic parts for under $200. the modern versions do not get the light green tint quite right.