• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ray Ban Aviator reloaded

Steve27752

Or I should just buy an outdoorsman, which is basically a modern issue of the same style. Not sure about the sweatbar though. Thing is, I already own a pair of classic aviators with polarized lenses which I really like, so the "upgrade" may be more sensible.

24414.jpg
I have been wearing a pair of these for the last month or so.

Greg Gale

I just tried on a pair of 3030s at a store. I like them! I have a pair of aviators that I love, but a) they fall off easily when moving around and b) sweat gets into my eyes when flying (40C in the cockpit plus the stress of finding a thermal at 500 feet). I also like how it combines the features and the functionality of the AN6531 with modern, better lenses and materials. I'll sleep on it, but this might be an investment I'll make soon!

Greg Gale

@falcon_ib yes, I've been in touch with SoF, they say it doesn't even have UV protection, it's only a smoked lens. So I decided not to buy any of these cheap repros, because it would only hurt my eye by dilating the pupils and letting the UV rays in.

Last edited:

Cocker

Now what I'd like to know with the SoF repro is the quality of the frame. I'd need lens made to my sight anyway, so only the frame would stay.

unclegrumpy

Now what I'd like to know with the SoF repro is the quality of the frame. I'd need lens made to my sight anyway, so only the frame would stay.

An interesting preliminary question would be if anyone has successfully put prescription lenses in the Ray Ban style AN6531's...I have seen a few vintage pairs done by the original owners...but not many.

Original AO & now Randolph 1960's issue style are commonly found with prescription lenses put in back in the day. Those are pretty cheap when you find them, because most people don't want to change the lenses. This style comes in several frame sizes, so you have to watch for that.

johnwayne

Ive had 2 pairs of Outdoorsmans (lost the first when capsizing in a kayak!) and should stress to anyone thinking of buying s/g's with such ear endings, whilst they stay on well if bending over or similar, they can be an irritant! I do find myself regularly trying to ease the very ends from time to time!! I also have RA's both in gold/brown lens and chrome and green lens and honestly, I think they are the better and cooler looking when the world and his wife now wear 'aviators'. Had quite few compliments and question as to maker too. RA's are pretty reasonably priced at Silvermans for anyone in UK.

Greg Gale

I pulled the trigger/ ripcord and bought a pair of Outdoorsmans. I compared the G-15 lens with the polarized G-15, and there isn't much difference. The latter filters out the sun's reflection on water but that's about it all. I see what Johnwayne means, the cable temples are feel a bit strange at first, borderline uncomfortable, but I expect the whole thing to stretch a bit and take the shape of my head/ ears. On the plus size, I skateboarded through the city, sweating in a heat of 33 °C, and the glasses didn't slide off my nose, not by a milimeter! The sweat not dripping into my eyes thanks to the sweat bars is a welcome addition as well. I'll just keep wearing it, along with my Aviators, then sell whichever I like less but I expect I'll prefer the Outdoorsman for its practical design.

Steve27752

So, here are my two of my pairs of Ray Ban sunnies. Can anyone spot the problem (They are not for a one eared artist)?
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG

The front pair have larger lenses that were popular when I bought them in the 80's.
With the wires they would be pretty useless when worn with a flying helmet, once off you could not put them back on without removing the helmet!

Steve27752

Or I should just buy an outdoorsman, which is basically a modern issue of the same style. Not sure about the sweatbar though. Thing is, I already own a pair of classic aviators with polarized lenses which I really like, so the "upgrade" may be more sensible.

24414.jpg
Buy both styles and swap the arms as and when you wish.

Greg Gale

OK, I just wore my new Outdoorsman for 4 days in a row by the lake. It got pretty painful at times, improving slowly but steadily. I fiddled around with the nose piece quite a lot. The sweat bar makes it sit on my nose further out than my aviators, which is weird, and I have yet to find the perfect nose piece position. The cable temples are also irritating, and no matter how much I tried to straighten them a bit, they're too elastic. Steve, I see yours have wider curves, how did you do that?

B-Man2

;)
OK, I just wore my new Outdoorsman for 4 days in a row by the lake. It got pretty painful at times, improving slowly but steadily. I fiddled around with the nose piece quite a lot. The sweat bar makes it sit on my nose further out than my aviators, which is weird, and I have yet to find the perfect nose piece position. The cable temples are also irritating, and no matter how much I tried to straighten them a bit, they're too elastic. Steve, I see yours have wider curves, how did you do that?

Yes .......but I bet they look good on you:)

Steve27752

Bigger ears! Too be honest that is the way they came. One thing that I have noticed is that the new wires have a soft clear heat shrink covering the wires. Anyone have a spare right arm that they do not want?