• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest of the Rare

Ed Rooney

I'm visiting the in-laws and my daughter in college for a few weeks, and got a chance to prowl an old school Army/Navy surplus store. they were light on flight gear, with just a few tan CWU-27 flight suits and NO MA-1s or CWU-36 or 45s. Lots of everything else from WWII to today. I did find 3 or 4 of a jacket that I never saw in person before.

Behold the Nomex Woodland Aviation BDU field jacket.
7C0A665D-E57D-4494-81C8-D32A26AAE815.jpeg

Erwin

It is not a rare jacket, and cannot be called M-65, sorry [no integrated hood, which is distinctive for the M-65 system]. You can call as you want. Even contracts with different fiber blends [nomex, kevlar, and p-140] are comparably easy to get. To be precise, it is "JACKET, AIRCREW, COLD WEATHER, WITH REMOVABLE LINER, AND HOOD" with MIL-DTL-31010 from (22 MAY 1995) [http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-DTL/download.php?spec=MIL-DTL-31010.030574.pdf].

CombatWombat

Wait this is rare?
I've got this, the shirt and the trousers
I had a hard time finding them here in Australia but it seemed like every disposal store in NC had quite a bit of these and the ACU equivalent

Reactions: TWU

Erwin

It is interesting that even some USMC servicemen still call this wrongly M-65
I can assume that for wearers it doesn't make a difference what kind of field jacket was given to you [with zipper or without in the collar]. I found this video a while ago, interesting to see various field jackets in use.

Ed Rooney

The issue with these is that the regular M65 is fairly water and snow resistant, whereas nomex is basically a sponge. The only upside to this jacket is fire resistance, otherwise, aircrews had 2 better options to wear (M65 or Gore-Tex) until they started the engines.

MauldinFan

The issue with these is that the regular M65 is fairly water and snow resistant, whereas nomex is basically a sponge. The only upside to this jacket is fire resistance, otherwise, aircrews had 2 better options to wear (M65 or Gore-Tex) until they started the engines.
I've often said that Nomex is also heated in the summer and air-conditioned in the winter. It's intended purpose of keeping you from burning to death too early aside, it's utterly worthless for comfort.
I wore Nomex a few times in the Army, as the tankers used them and I went up in some helicopters (with a few less proper landings - or landings at all - that I should have had) and I promise you, comfort just isn't there.

Ed Rooney

The old flight suits were paper thin. You pretty much needed to wear waffle long johns in winter. The newer ones made with a bit of gore-tex have a bit more substance to them, to your detriment in summer. I was not a big flight suit fan. It was fine for drill weekends and AFTPs, but garbage in the field. I wanted a good 2 piece.

Rutger

I've often said that Nomex is also heated in the summer and air-conditioned in the winter. It's intended purpose of keeping you from burning to death too early aside, it's utterly worthless for comfort.
I wore Nomex a few times in the Army, as the tankers used them and I went up in some helicopters (with a few less proper landings - or landings at all - that I should have had) and I promise you, comfort just isn't there.
I suppose you're not referring to all nomex clothing? Because I find the CWU-45 and CWU-36 very well suited for their intended purposes. Both are my daily wearers depending on weather of course. They are totally not water resistant, unforunately.

Ed Rooney

In my case I was just referring to the flight suit. The CWU-45 and the Army Tanker jackets were indeed pretty warm - but not as warm as an MA-1.

In TG 2 I was surprised to see Maverick and Rooster running around in the snow. I think they would have been soaking wet and hypothermic long before they found the F-14.