• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rare bird

Silver Surfer

a recent acquisition. this is a super rare first contract [w535ac 16159] rough wear. according to Gary's book, 9700 were made in 1940. this one is numbered 268. ostensibly a plain Jane till ya get to the back, where a b-17 in on a cloud is painted on a patch stitched to the jacket back. when I received the jacket,, the wrist knits were shot, and the upper back of the liner frayed and torn. I repaired the liner [some of my crappy stitching skills and fabric glue], and sent the jacket to Steve to have the wrist knits replaced with a set of near match originals that I had. on the liner is the name r. lash [Robert b. lash]. he was a radio operator on the b-17 "Sylvia" [42-29945] that was shot down aug 12 1943. he spent the rest of the was as a prisoner in stalig 17-b. I have a printed out interview he gave in 2013, where he discusses his time in 92nd bg, and in the Stalig. he was also written up inn an article in July 2014. this a-2 is now an occasional wearer without issue. no idea why the pix came out, out of order.
IMG_4151.jpg
IMG_4153.jpg
IMG_4155.jpg
IMG_4149.jpg
IMG_4150.jpg
IMG_4148.jpg

blackrat2

Another beautiful original Vic
The difference with the two pocket flaps is really obvious to see in the last pic
It’s those little peculiarities that make looking at originals so interesting

Silver Surfer

at least both pockets are stitched to the front, near the bottom, as against......... funny that ya mention it, but of the rough wears that I have seen or handled, it seems that the 16159 contract had the most scalloped and pointed pockets flaps of all of the rws. some of next contact [goat skin] also had deeply scalloped pocket flaps as well. jeezelouise, jacket nerd stuff to be sure.