• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random images from a couple of the smaller local Bomb Group museum's.

Micawber

Apologies in advance for the reflections but conditions have not been ideal for photos taken in subdued lighting recently. That aside, living where I do I am literally surrounded by old wartime airfields, or the sites of airfields. Having been involved with one of the first airfield museum's there has been a huge increase in the number of volunteer led and funded museum's set up in order to tell the story and display artifacts on or nearby to these old sites. I am fortunate enough to have friends, acquaintances and contacts in many. While there are the larger local establishments such as the 100th Bomb Group museum just down the road here at Thorpe Abbott's, the 390th BG at Parham / Framingham, 94th BG at Roudham / Bury At Edmunds, 453rd BG at Old Buck, the list goes on and that's not to mention all the fighter group and RAF museum's too. Among those are smaller but no less worthy establishments that hold significant collections dedicated to keeping the memories of the service and sacrifices that took place on these sites during the war. Two very close to me are the 96th Bomb Group museum at Snetterton founded by the late Geoff Ward and the 388th museum close to Knettishall that was founded by my friend Dave Sarson who sadly passed away last year.
Lack of immunity following cancer has meant visiting places has been somewhat restricted over the past year but I have been determined to get back to see some places again, two of which have been these last two museum's and that's exactly what I did over the past couple of weekends or so during their respective open days. It was so good to catch up and chew the fat with some old friends again but sad that a number are no longer with us.
Here are a few entirely random but by no means comprehensive images that may be of interest to some here...

IMG_20220829_211311.jpg

IMG_20220829_211233.jpg

IMG_20220829_211200.jpg

IMG_20220829_211342.jpg

IMG_20220829_183751.jpg

IMG_20220829_185123.jpg

IMG_20220829_185105.jpg

More to follow..

B-Man2

Steve
Looks like they have pieces of aircraft on the back walls. Would they be German planes shot down over the UK or Raf and American plane pieces?

Silver Surfer

Wow! And, outstanding. Many thanx for taking the time to post these. I noticed that in the first pic there is a group patch of a pteradyctl (spelling) holding a bomb with its tail. I forget which group this represents. Until now, I have only seen this patch embroidered with chain stitching, such as the one on one of my a-2s. The colors are different as well. Live and learn.

blackrat2

Thanks for posting these great pics
Perhaps next year or whenever your ready for it, we could try and arrange for some of us to meet up and visit this place, would be more than happy to make the drive and have a look and maybe meet some forum members