• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Smithy

Probably one of the most iconic and incredible photos from the Iraq War. 1SG Brad Kasal being carried out of a house in Fallujah, November 2004.

In a firefight with insurgents in this house Kasal received seven 7.62mm bullet wounds to his legs and 43 pieces of shrapnel from a fragmentation grenade whilst using his body to shield a fellow injured Marine. Despite his injuries and losing his primary weapon, he fought on with his Beretta pistol and killed and forced the retreat of the remainder of the insurgents along with the rest of his squad.

By the time this photo was taken he'd lost 60% of his blood. He won the Navy Cross for this action, although some have said he perhaps deserved even higher.

Whatever medal, just incredible bravery. Semper fi as they say.

EYJT8IIXsAATZrK.jpg:large

Last edited:

Smithy

...I should add that Kasal's book "My Men are My Heroes" is brilliant. The description of that final fight is just mindblowing.

It went on for 2 hours with at times exchanging fire and grenades in under 10 feet. And when you think his leg was virtually severed, it's just incredible how on earth he did what he did. That leg today is four inches shorter because they had to remove the horrific damage to his bones in order to save his leg.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Men-Are-H.../ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Probably one of the most iconic and incredible photos from the Iraq War. 1SG Brad Kasal being carried out of a house in Fallujah, November 2004.

In a firefight with insurgents in this house Kasal received seven 7.62mm bullet wounds to his legs and 43 pieces of shrapnel from a fragmentation grenade whilst using his body to shield a fellow injured Marine. Despite his injuries and losing his primary weapon, he fought on with his Beretta pistol and killed and forced the retreat of the remainder of the insurgents along with the rest of his squad.

By the time this photo was taken he'd lost 60% of his blood. He won the Navy Cross for this action, although some have said he perhaps deserved even higher.

Whatever medal, just incredible bravery. Semper fi as they say.

EYJT8IIXsAATZrK.jpg:large
'Top' Dog!

ausreenactor

...I should add that Kasal's book "My Men are My Heroes" is brilliant. The description of that final fight is just mindblowing.

It went on for 2 hours with at times exchanging fire and grenades in under 10 feet. And when you think his leg was virtually severed, it's just incredible how on earth he did what he did. That leg today is four inches shorter because they had to remove the horrific damage to his bones in order to save his leg.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Men-Are-H.../ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Possibly still getting screwed by the VA though...

Smithy

There’s a sad story that accompanies this photo if I remember correctly. The guy who was hit didn’t survive his wounds .

It is Burt. That article was one of the first which really brought home what was happening in Vietnam.

Actually, it was a groundbreaking article full stop. WWII and even the Korean War had been sanitised for "public consumption" in the papers and magazines.

This story was one of the first to blatantly show that "our boys" die and the circumstances in which they die.

Smithy

I actually remember reading this article when it came out . There were a few other photos that were just as graphic as the cover photo.

I'm a great believer that if you're going to send your citizens to war then you should definitely show what they're doing and also how they make the ultimate sacrifice.

Whilst shocking, it shows just how much they are giving for the country which is sending them into harm's way.