• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Smithy

More Hue...

%20%20

McC6802-Vietnam24.jpg

1omu3a1p2wr71.png

the-battle-of-hue-iconic-photograph.jpg

JonnyCrow

Look like Free French impressions in all her photos, to me.
I'll tell you the story about that, her group we called La Nueve, the 9th, Spanish and French volunteers 9th Blindee armoured division attached to the US Army, so yes correctly French influence, sorry for the long read but it's interesting

V was or 1943. The allies already dominate North Africa and think about the future invasion of the European continent. The France that refused to surrender does not want to participate in the task of liberation as a mere extra, and De Gaulle wants, among many other things, a modern Armored Division with the mission of being the first to enter Paris.
Captain Raymond Dronne had early joined de Gaulle's call against surrender and had espoused the cause of "Free France" in Cameroon, where he was a lieutenant in the reserve. After accompanying Leclerc in his African deed, he had been wounded in the battle of Ksar Rhilane and had to settle for knowing the final triumph of the allies in Tunisia while he was convalescing from his wounds in Egypt.

Not fully recovered, he returned to the Djidjelli camp in Algeria, where Leclerc formed the Second Armored Division, a military unit that would come to be identified by his own name. The Division was still in the phase of constitution, and Leclerc was gathering anything that could serve his objective, with a prior requirement: its members should be, in the absence of a sufficient number of French origin, of race white. It was considered that it would not have a good effect if the liberation of France, at least in its stages
initials and until the French from the metropolis joined the task, it was the work of the African soldiers. Nor was it thought that the Senegalese shooters would adapt to the war in Europe, nor that they would be able to cope with the modern means that the Americans were going to make available to Leclerc. Therefore, the once multiracial "Leclerc Column" had to be "whitewashed".

Dronne's loyalty to Leclerc was compensated by a high dose of trust from him with respect to the captain. Perhaps that was why, upon Dronne's return, Leclerc gave him a special commission. He handed over command of one of the companies that would make up the Third Battalion of the Chad March Regiment (RMT), the unit that would in turn make up the contingent of mechanized infantry that would accompany the division's tanks, according to the American model. The new company would be made up of Spanish volunteers, from Republican exile, and French "pieds noirs" of Spanish origin, belonging to families that had been living in North Africa for more than a generation. He warned her that it was a special company: "Those men scare the whole world, but they are good soldiers. You'll manage, okay

ausreenactor

FB_IMG_1669842254789.jpg

After returning from the war in Europe, actor turned war hero Colonel Jimmy Stewart chats on the phone in his father’s hardware store while his father speaks with a customer in 1945. Besides all the usual hardware goods, the store also boasted the actor turned war hero’s “Philadelphia Story” Oscar on display.

Stewart won his Oscar for his work in the Philidelphia Story prior to joining the war effort. After taking the award in 1940, his father phoned him and said “I hear you won some kind of award. What was it a plaque or something? Well, you better bring it back here and we’ll put it in the window of the store.”

The Oscar would be displayed there for 25 years alongside other family awards and military medals. Stewart would become the first major American movie star to enlist in the United States Army to fight in World War II and was one of very few Americans to rise from the rank of Private to Colonel in less than five years. As a result of the 20 combat missions he flew over Germany as leader of a squadron of B-24’s, Colonel Stewart was awarded two Distinguished Flying Crosses and the Croix de Guerre.

B-Man2

The Police Chief who executed the POW had just endured the news that a peer and his family had been executed and butchered.

The genesis of 'Fuck around and find out' perhaps?
Couchy
I actually met this guy in 1982. He had managed to make it to the US after the collapse of S. Vietnam. He opened up a restaurant in Springfield Virginia that I used to frequent . If anyone is familiar with the Rolling Valley Mall at the intersection of Old Keene Mill Road and Rolling Valley Rd. in Springfield Virginia, his restaurant was located there. I spoke with him numerous times but never about the war or the photo. He was a pleasant guy.

ES335

The Police Chief who executed the POW had just endured the news that a peer and his family had been executed and butchered.

The genesis of 'Fuck around and find out' perhaps?
Execuited by whom? Informed by whom?

Judge, jury and executioner. Fuck around, murder the nearest captured and handcuffed local someone and find out war crimes- and maybe a noose.

I'm sure he was a splendid chap. A stand up, grin in your face kinda guy in his comfy post war suburban Virgina restaurant.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Execuited by whom? Informed by whom?

Judge, jury and executioner. Fuck around, murder the nearest captured and handcuffed local someone and find out war crimes- and maybe a noose.

I'm sure he was a splendid chap. A stand up, grin in your face kinda guy in his comfy post war suburban Virgina restaurant.
You can Google all the info..

ES335

You can Google all the info..
Sure. I can find dispshits claiming cows jumped over the moon on Google. That would stand up in a court of law, you know... for all the info.

Spin it all you want my friend. That was an extrajudicial murder by a senior "law enforcement officer" captured on film. An action completely contrary to the values we in the US or Australia claimed to espouse. Google that.