• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

B-Man2

No it's not a photo and no it's not from WWII but I like it, and I started this thread so my rules ;-)

I like the planes...

6rl--HQBkK4.jpg
A Swede or a Norwegian hottie for sure .:)

Micawber

On this day, 82 years ago, 9th January 1941, Avro test pilot, Captain Harry “Sam” Brown, made the first flight of the prototype Avro Lancaster, BT308, at RAF Ringway near Manchester.
A development of the twin-engined Avro Type 679 Manchester, the prototype was designed by Roy Chadwick, the Chief Designer of A.V Roe & Company Limited, and assisted by Stuart Davies, who led on the design work to convert the unsuccessful twin-engined Avro Manchester into the new four-engined aircraft. Powered by four Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, the new aircraft was originally designated Manchester III, but was renamed Avro Type 683 Lancaster after the first flight.
Photo: Avro Lancaster prototype, BT308.

323768067_862047668345308_5693454137999672003_n.jpg

Smithy

RR Griffon-powered Spit. One of the most beautiful aircraft built, IMO...

But a bit of a bitch to fly compared to the Merlin jobs according to my Dad's old mate.

Doug flew Merlin Is, IIs, Vs and IXs and then eventually with Griffon XIVs when he was posted as CO to 130 Sqn. He told me they were great but way twitchier than Merlin ones. Another thing which tripped people up was the prop on the Griff Spits spun contrary to Merlin Spits so lots of pilots had prangs by applying the wrong rubber pedal in preparation of torque pull.

Spectacular aircraft though.

Smithy

I think I might have posted this in the Battle of Britain photo thread I started many moons ago but I don't care, I love this image because it shows just how buggered pilots in Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain were.

riy4vo9j3g631.jpg